Castle in Hradec nad Moravicí, Czech Republic

BrokenAgate

Reactions
I sometimes go to a site called Jigzone, an online jigsaw puzzle site, and somebody had made a puzzle out of a photograph of a castle in Czechoslovakia. Here is a page that I found for this castle. It includes a couple of videos showing parts of the castle and the surrounding areas. In the first video, at around the 2:09 mark, you can see what seems to be a sheer rock wall overgrown with grass and trees, that doesn't look to be natural.

Castle in Hradec nad Moravicí, Czechia

Regarding its construction, the page has this to say:
The castle was there already in the Gothic time, but at the turn of the sixteenth and seventeenth century it was rebuilt in the Renaissance style.
So, the castle was already there, and was at some point reconstructed or refurbished in a different style....which is, of course, the exact same style with a different name. Dollars to donuts there was no reconstruction, but merely repair work on a damaged castle, and an excavation of some buried parts.

Here is another page, where you can click through the slideshow of images of this edifice. It's quite attractive, the kind of castle you might picture in a book of fairy tales about brave princesses and beautiful knights. 🙃 Zámek Hradec nad Moravicí - Zajimavamista.cz There are a couple of aerial views, too. Lots of lovely metal devices up there on those peaks. They look huge and very heavy. Where were these manufactured, in the "Gothic" and "Renaissance" times? Is there any evidence of a metalworking factory that made stuff like this?

A couple of views, front and back (I think):

Hradec nad Moravicí Chateau.jpg Hradec nad Moravicí Chateau back view.jpg

Here are two screenshots I took from Google maps:

Hradec nad Moravici screenshot 2.jpg Castle in Hradec nad Moravicí screenshot.jpg

This one shows an odd, small opening at the base and some weird slots higher up. What are those for? Note how the base of the building is different from the upper portion. Is this what is meant by "Renaissance" reconstruction?

Castle odd window and slots.jpg

In this image, on the left, you can see another square hole, which must be the remnant of a damaged window. Do the doors look as if they are natural to the rest of the building? I guess if they're back entrances, they wouldn't need to be fancy, but they look rather primitive compared to the big archways of other parts of this structure. I guess that's another part of those "Renaissance" style changes.

Castle doors and square hole.jpg

Verity

Reactions
This one shows an odd, small opening at the base and some weird slots higher up. What are those for?
Those were for shooting arrows. Arrowslit - Wikipedia

Note how the base of the building is different from the upper portion. Is this what is meant by "Renaissance" reconstruction?
Yeah I noted those too. They seem out of place. Sort of whimsically stuck-on, not serving any genuine obvious aesthetic or structural purpose. As if some middle-class woman in the late 1800's was determined to live in/have a more authentic castle experience; 'Brick is for losers Darling. Make the men stick stone on it.'
Could also be that the stone was added as a cheap(er) way to deal with half-windows/doors. Absolutely rife in Europe, and as a perspective-nazi it irritates the hell out of me.
The lowest windows are shorter than the upper in the main building of the last photo, which could be argued that the perspective has been taken in to account for the observer at ground level. (ie. Could be an architectural feature. I've heard that argument.)
But it does appear or present like an imperfect solution to having had the original foundation buried.
I bet if they removed that stone and dug down the true foundation would be at least a meter or more below ground level.
The perspective seems off.