Burning Books, Erasing Memories

Moriarty

Reactions
(Does anyone else find it odd that the NAZIS spared "an important resource for Jewish History" and that the Allied bombers didn't)?
I would have done in the past but these days, after many years research, I have come to understand that Nazi Germany was only interested in expelling the jews and not to obliterate their culture. Incredibly they were to be transported to either Madagacar or Palestine. They were offered financial inducements to do this. This was the real Final Solution that has been bastardised by historians and turned into a genocide.

I am not going to go down the road of death camps, but ever wondered why all so called death camp were always liberated by Russians? History is a lie. As recently as 1945. And we swallow it because its in our books. And nobody tells you about the Typhoid epidemics in the German labour camps caused by allied bombings so supplies couldnt get through. A simple question would be why kill your work force that is building you munitions in a war?

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Ever wondered why all so called death camp were always liberated by Russians? History is a lie. As recently as 1945. And we swallow it because its in our books.
Russians liberated Auschwitz. British, Canadian, American, and French troops also freed prisoners from the camps. The Americans were responsible for liberating Buchenwald and Dachau, while British forces entered Bergen-Belsen.
Nazi Germany was only interested in expelling the jews and not to obliterate their culture. Incredibly they were to be transported to either Madagacar or Palestine. They were offered financial inducements to do this. This was the real Final Solution that has been bastardised by historians and turned into a genocide.
Did the Nazis also offer this "Final Solution" to the mentally and physically challenged, the Roma (AKA gypsies), the politically incorrect or any number of other unapproved groups of people of the time? Or were they saved for the inhuman medical experiments? Jews weren't the only ones killed in the camps.
German citizens and their Hitler Youth were forced to witness the horrors of the camps when the Allied troops liberated the camps.

I agree that we shouldn't believe everything we read in books but books are written for a reason and when every country that had military in Nazi Germany agrees that there were death camps and atrocities, provides pictures, receipts for deadly chemicals, and all sorts of other documentation, it can reasonably be assumed that we're dealing with historical fact and not fiction.

in cahoots

Reactions
It is a terribly nervy issue, but WWII propaganda is absolutely relevant to the narrative of historical manipulation.
"Atrocity propaganda is how we won the war. And we're only really beginning with it now! We will continue this atrocity propaganda, we will escalate it until nobody will accept even a good word from the Germans, until all the sympathy they may still have abroad will have been destroyed and they themselves will be so confused that they will no longer know what they are doing. ... Re-education needs careful tending, like an English lawn. Even one moment of negligence, and the weeds crop up again - those indestructible weeds of historical truth."

- Sefton Delmer, former British chief of black propaganda
(spoken post-surrender, 1945, in conversation with Dr. Friedrich Grimm, German prof of international law)
"We painted Hitler as a monster, a devil. And that's why we could not move away from that portrayal after the war. We had mobilized the masses against the devil incarnate. And so we were forced to continue in this satanic scenario after the war. We could not possibly have explained to our people that the war had actually been only a preventative economic measure."

- James Baker, former US Secretary of State
(in interview with Der Spiegel, 1992)

Moriarty

Reactions
Russians liberated Auschwitz. British, Canadian, American, and French troops also freed prisoners from the camps. The Americans were responsible for liberating Buchenwald and Dachau, while British forces entered Bergen-Belsen.

Did the Nazis also offer this "Final Solution" to the mentally and physically challenged, the Roma (AKA gypsies), the politically incorrect or any number of other unapproved groups of people of the time? Or were they saved for the inhuman medical experiments? Jews weren't the only ones killed in the camps.
German citizens and their Hitler Youth were forced to witness the horrors of the camps when the Allied troops liberated the camps.

I agree that we shouldn't believe everything we read in books but books are written for a reason and when every country that had military in Nazi Germany agrees that there were death camps and atrocities, provides pictures, receipts for deadly chemicals, and all sorts of other documentation, it can reasonably be assumed that we're dealing with historical fact and not fiction.
You are wrong I am afraid. For instance your so called receipts for deadly chemicals was for Zyklon B. This was used for delousing. Why bother delousing people you are going to kill?

There is much real research you should do before repeating mainstream mythology. That really is the tenet for this forum is it not?

And by the way, before I get proclaimed as such, I am not a Nazi. Just a guy who properly researches history as much as I can
It is a terribly nervy issue, but WWII propaganda is absolutely relevant to the narrative of historical manipulation.
Spot on

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Zyklon, developed by Degesch (short for the German vermin-combating corporation), was made in varying strengths, with Zyklon C, D and E representing gradations in potency and price. As Raul Hilberg describes it in The Destruction of the European Jews, “strength E was required for the eradication of specially resistant vermin, such as cockroaches, or for gassings in wooden barracks. The ‘normal’ preparation, D, was used to exterminate lice, mice, or rats in large, well-built structures containing furniture. Human organisms in gas chambers were killed with Zyklon B.”

DDT was used globally in the 1940s and 1950s to eradicate malaria, and typhus carried by mosquitos and lice respectively.

Zyklon labels from Dachau concentration camps used as evidence at the Nuremberg trials. The first and third panels contain manufacturer information and the brand name. The center panel reads "Poison Gas! Of the 729 tons of Zyklon B sold in Germany in 1942–44, 56 tonnes (about 8 percent of domestic sales) were sold to concentration camps.[26] Auschwitz received 23.8 tonnes, of which 6 tonnes were used for fumigation. The remainder was used in the gas chambers (or spoiled after its 3 month shelf life).

I'm old enough to have met survivors of the camps and have researched the topic for decades. I would, however, be interested to know how any of this relates to the topic of erasing memories by burning books. There is an orgy of documentation that remains relating to WWII so that our memories of the event are not erased even if the narrative is being changed with conspiracy theories.

Mabzyn: why would that "delousing chamber" need a radiator for heating? "Zyklon (later known as Zyklon A), a pesticide which released hydrogen cyanide upon exposure to water and heat. It was banned after a similar product was used by Germany as a chemical weapon used in WWI." (wiki) So the company added an eye irritant and diatomaceous earth to the hydrogen cyanide "pesticide" and called it Zyklon B for WWII.

I'd really appreciate it if we could stick to the topic and I'd be happy to engage in a discussion of WWII on another thread.

Last edited:

Onthebit

Reactions

We can assume the number was lower because it was BUT lots of Jewish died along with the others (notably the Gypsies who were 'wanderers', 'without a homeland).....can you see where this is leading? I think there's a connection.

Moriarty

Reactions
Zyklon, developed by Degesch (short for the German vermin-combating corporation), was made in varying strengths, with Zyklon C, D and E representing gradations in potency and price. As Raul Hilberg describes it in The Destruction of the European Jews, “strength E was required for the eradication of specially resistant vermin, such as cockroaches, or for gassings in wooden barracks. The ‘normal’ preparation, D, was used to exterminate lice, mice, or rats in large, well-built structures containing furniture. Human organisms in gas chambers were killed with Zyklon B.”

DDT was used globally in the 1940s and 1950s to eradicate malaria, and typhus carried by mosquitos and lice respectively.

Zyklon labels from Dachau concentration camps used as evidence at the Nuremberg trials. The first and third panels contain manufacturer information and the brand name. The center panel reads "Poison Gas! Of the 729 tons of Zyklon B sold in Germany in 1942–44, 56 tonnes (about 8 percent of domestic sales) were sold to concentration camps.[26] Auschwitz received 23.8 tonnes, of which 6 tonnes were used for fumigation. The remainder was used in the gas chambers (or spoiled after its 3 month shelf life).

I'm old enough to have met survivors of the camps and have researched the topic for decades. I would, however, be interested to know how any of this relates to the topic of erasing memories by burning books. There is an orgy of documentation that remains relating to WWII so that our memories of the event are not erased even if the narrative is being changed with conspiracy theories.

Mabzyn: why would that "delousing chamber" need a radiator for heating? "Zyklon (later known as Zyklon A), a pesticide which released hydrogen cyanide upon exposure to water and heat. It was banned after a similar product was used by Germany as a chemical weapon used in WWI." (wiki) So the company added an eye irritant and diatomaceous earth to the hydrogen cyanide "pesticide" and called it Zyklon B for WWII.

I'd really appreciate it if we could stick to the topic and I'd be happy to engage in a discussion of WWII on another thread.
I agree. It does need another thread. I will start one in the next couple of days when I have a couple of hours to write it up. It won't necessarily concentrate on the camps as that by its nature will be very divisive, but on the causes of the war and the demonisation of the Germans by the victors. And yes, this is related to books because the books we have today - some 70 odd years later - are falsifications of history. Very recent history at that. And something we are not allowed to question....

alyxy

Reactions
I didn't know there were so many! 😖😞

I find it fascinating how emotional the topic is for many people in my generation, though. It's like the first time we hear about the burning of the Library of Alexandria, a commonly known and acknowledged library burning, we're filled with indignation, anger and grief. Like we refuse to accept that so much knowledge was stolen from us by fire. We're holding a grudge through the centuries! It feels like, "We're not going to forget about this! Never!"

It feels personal. Part of it could be that growing up as a kid who loves libraries, of course you hate the thought of an ancient one being burned. But it feels deeper than that to me, a visceral level of pain and grief. Thinking about Rupert Sheldrake's idea of morphic resonance, I feel like that's something really important to us all. Felt in the bones and never forgotten.

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
Spoken like a true bibliophile. Almost feels like a genetic memory. All of humanity has this niggling feeling that something precious has been lost or stolen from us but we can't quite put our finger on what it is we've lost. In writing this article I think I felt what the Mayans felt when their library was burned by the Spanish. "Maya codices of the Yucatán Maní, Mexico and Guatemala 1562-07-12 Diego de Landa Bishop De Landa, a Franciscan monk and conquistador during the Spanish conquest of Yucatán, wrote: "We found a large number of books in these characters and, as they contained nothing in which were not to be seen as superstition and lies of the devil, we burned them all, which they (the Maya) regretted to an amazing degree, and which caused them much affliction." Only three extant codices are widely considered unquestionably authentic."

The monk didn't write about the Mayans "amazing degree of regret and much affliction" when their gold was stolen by the Spanish and even when their people were killed. This loss of our sense of self, our history and our place in it, mankind's continuity of memories, our sense of community and belonging all gone with the burning of books. It's an incalculable loss; not just for those whose books were burned but for all mankind.

We can't know what the ancients knew; we can't feel what they felt. We can't understand what they took for granted as common knowledge but it was written down and available to anyone who wanted to explore their life and times. Now it's gone and we're left wondering how we are connected to them. Their lives and times, their stories are lost to us forever and still we struggle to regain our place in the line of humanity. Of the materials we have left, we study our ancestors like bugs in a jar instead of reliving, through their written accounts, the stories of our family that enrich us all and give us a sense of place and connectedness.

Andromeda

Reactions
We can't know what the ancients knew; we can't feel what they felt. We can't understand what they took for granted as common knowledge but it was written down and available to anyone who wanted to explore their life and times. Now it's gone and we're left wondering how we are connected to them. Their lives and times, their stories are lost to us forever and still we struggle to regain our place in the line of humanity. Of the materials we have left, we study our ancestors like bugs in a jar instead of reliving, through their written accounts, the stories of our family that enrich us all and give us a sense of place and connectedness.
We inherited our dreams from our ancestors. My grandpa had dreams, and my grandpa's grandpa also had dreams said my grandpa before he left us.
If this heritage is lost, we'll no longer remember what matters to us and I can't imagine what life will become, however @dreamtime has written what he foresees for the future, and we are slowly losing this heritage - dreams.

WorldWar1812

Reactions
National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina 1992-08-25 Bosnian Serb Army. The library was completely destroyed during the Siege of Sarajevo.

National Archives of Bosnia and Herzegovina (partially) Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina 2014-02-07 Seven Bosnian rioters suspected of having started the fire; two (Salem Hatibović and Nihad Trnka) were arrested.

On 4 April 2014, Salem Hatibović and Nihad Trnka were released (although still under suspicion of terrorism), on conditions that they don't leave their places of residence and abstain from having any contact with each other. Both were also mandated to report to the police once every week.During the 2014 unrest in Bosnia and Herzegovina large amounts of historical documents were destroyed when sections of the Archives of Bosnia and Herzegovina, housed in the presidential building, were set on fire. Among the lost archival material were documents and gifts from the Ottoman period, original documents from the 1878-1918 Austro-Hungarian rule in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as documentations of the interwar period, the 1941–1945 rule of the Independent State of Croatia, papers from the following years, and about 150,000 files from the 1996–2003 Human Rights Chamber for Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In the repositories that were burnt, about 60 percent of the material was lost, according to estimates by Šaban Zahirović, the head of the Archives.

Institute of Scientific Information on Social Sciences (INION) (partially?) Moscow, Russia 2015-01-29 Unknown. Fire spread to 2000 m² in third Floor. Roof caved in. Additional water damage. Ambient temperature too high for self-freezing of damaged Works. Library contains 14 MILLION books, including rare texts in ancient Slavic languages, documents from the League of Nations, UNESCO, and parliamentary reports from countries including the US dating back as far as 1789. A million rare documents damaged in Moscow library fire

Personal Venetian noble library. (There are many recorded instances of personal libraries torched). "For many, many years Razumowski had made a point of embellishing the place with every art-treasure that wealth could buy. The rooms themselves were decorated with as much taste as sumptuousness. Side by side with galleries containing masterpieces of pictorial and statuary art, there was a library, perhaps matchless anywhere, inasmuch as the rarest manuscripts and books were collected there. The Project Gutenberg eBook of Anecdotal Recollections Of the Congress of Vienna, by The Comte A. De La Garde-Chambonas. (The timing of this one, especially, bothers me as it happened during the Vienna Congress after the Napoleonic war when the movers, shakers and most influential people in Europe were gathered in Vienna for the purpose of carving up Europe into its current map designations). It was the only fire recorded in Vienna during those 6 months.)

Censorship of Historical Thought (This seems to be a historically popular method of erasing a cultural memory)

WWII bombing of London
An estimated five million books were lost in the fires caused by tens of thousands of incendiary bombs - including, on the one hand, old and rare books and on the other the whole or most of the print run of recently published books.

WWII destruction of Poland
Works of Macrobius, ca. 1470 is one of the books burned by the Germans during the Planned destruction of Warsaw. Much of Warsaw, Poland was destroyed during World War II by the Nazis: an approximated 85% of buildings, including 16,000,000 volumes. 10% of the buildings were destroyed in the Invasion of Poland that ignited the war in 1939, 15% in the reorganization of Warsaw and the first Warsaw Ghetto uprising, 25% in the second and far more famous Uprising, and the last 35% due to systematic German actions after the Uprising was defeated. 14 libraries, not including the libraries in the University of Warsaw and the Warsaw Institute of Technology that were also razed, were completely burned to the ground. German Verbrennungskommandos (Burning detachments) were responsible for much of the targeted attacks on libraries and other centers of knowledge and learning. In October 1944, the National Library of Poland's manuscript collection was burned to erase Polish national history.

WWII bombing of Germany
The firebombing of German cities during World War II caused extensive destruction of German libraries, including the Library of the Technical University of Aachen (50,000 volumes), the Berlin Staatsbibliothek (2 million volumes), the Berlin University Library (20,000 volumes), the Bonn University Library (25% of its holdings), the Bremen Staatsbibliothek (150,000 volumes), the Hessische Landesbibliothek in Darmstadt (760,000 volumes), the Library of the Technical University in Darmstadt (two-thirds of its collection), the Stadt- und Landesbibliothek in Dortmund (250,000 of 320,000 volumes), the Sächsische Landesbibliothek in Dresden (300,000 volumes), the Stadtbibliothek in Dresden (200,000 volumes), the Essen Stadtbücherei (130,000 volumes), the Frankfurt Stadt- und Universitätsbibliothek (550,000 volumes, 440,000 doctoral dissertations, 750,000 patents), the Giessen University Library (nine-tenths of its collection), the Greifswald University Library (17,000 volumes), the Hamburg Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek (600,000 volumes), the Hamburg Commerz-Bibliothek (174,000 of 188,000 volumes), the Hannover Stadtbibliothek (125,000 volumes), the Badische Landesbibliothek in Karlsruhe (360,000 volumes), the Library of the Technical University in Karlsruhe (63,000 volumes), the Kassel Landesbibliothek (350,000 of 400,000 volumes), the Murhardsche Bibliothek in Kassel (100,000 volumes), the Kiel University Library (250,000 volumes), the Leipzig Stadtbibliothek (175,000 of 181,000 volumes), the Magdeburg Stadtbibliothek (140,000 of 180,000 volumes), the Marburg University Library (50,000 volumes), the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek in Munich (500,000 volumes), the Munich University Library (350,000 volumes), the Munich Stadtbibliothek (80,000 volumes), the Munich Benedictine Library (120,000 volumes), the Münster University Library (360,000 volumes), the Nürnberg Stadtbibliothek (100,000 volumes), the Württembergische Landesbibliothek in Stuttgart (580,000 volumes), the Library of the Technical University in Stuttgart (50,000 volumes), the Würzburg University Library (200,000 volumes and 230,000 doctoral dissertations). The above is only a shortlist of the most notable losses; in all it is estimated that a third of all German books were destroyed. Among the books destroyed at the Municipal Library of Frankfurt was its Cairo Genizah document collection – an important resource for Jewish History which was spared by the Nazis and destroyed in the Allied bombing. It should also be mentioned that on May 10, 1945, soldiers of the Red Army destroyed parts of the collection of the University of Breslau. (Does anyone else find it odd that the NAZIS spared "an important resource for Jewish History" and that the Allied bombers didn't)?

Duchess Anna Amalia Library. Weimar, Germany 2004-09-02 The destruction of movable industrial heritage remains almost totally ignored. List of destroyed heritage. (This is significant in that we can see the ruins of destroyed buildings and learn of the great loss of written documents but no one is really giving much attention to the technology/industrial heritage that existed during those times of destruction. How much have we lost?)
Pennsylvania Station was a historic railroad station in New York City, named for the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), its builder and original tenant. The station occupied an 8-acre plot bounded by Seventh and Eighth Avenues and 31st and 33rd Streets in Midtown Manhattan. It was designed by McKim, Mead, and White and completed in 1910. Its head house and train shed were considered a masterpiece of the Beaux-Arts style and one of the great architectural works of New York City. Construction 1904-1910 Demolition October 28, 1963 (Up for only 50 years? This one may need a thread of its own).
The history of Brazil is being systematically destroyed.
As is Croatia/Cyrillic language and culture.
And, of course, obliteration of American Indian heritage/culture continues.
History and evidence of a conflicting narrative seem especially prone to "accidents".

The history of Brazil is being systematically destroyed.
As is Croatia/Cyrillic language and culture.
And, of course, obliteration of American Indian heritage/culture continues.

In 2014 a 4,500-year-old Coast Miwok Indian burial ground and village was found near Larkspur, California, and destroyed to make way for a multimillion-dollar housing development.[141]
Grand Coulee Dam, constructed between 1933 and 1942 on the Columbia River disturbed burial grounds and destroyed ancient villages on 18,000 acres (7,300 ha) of the Colville Indian Reservation, home to a dozen tribes at the time.[142]

History and evidence of a conflicting narrative seem especially prone to "accidents".

Swedish National Archives
In 1697, gross negligence caused the burning down of the Tre Kronor in Stockholm, including the National Library and its archives, resulting in irreparable loss of much information about centuries of Swedish history.[116]

China's Qianlong Emperor (1711–1799) embarked on an ambitious program – the Siku Quanshu, largest compilation of books in Chinese history (possibly in human history in general). The enterprise included, however, also the systematic banning and burning of books considered "unfitting" to be included – especially those critical, even by subtle hints, of the ruling Qing Dynasty. During this Emperor's nearly sixty years on the throne, the destruction of about 3,000 "evil" titles (books, poems, and plays) was decreed, the number of individual copies confiscated and destroyed is variously estimated at tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. As well as systematically destroying the written works, 53 authors of such works were executed, in some cases by lingering torture or along with their family members (see literary inquisition#Qing, Qianlong Emperor#Burning of books and modification of texts). A famous earlier Chinese encyclopedia, Tiangong Kaiwu was included among the works banned and destroyed at this time, and was long considered to be lost forever – but some original copies were discovered, preserved intact, in Japan.

According to national and international organizations about 1000,000 books in Albanian language have been sent to the paper mill in Lipjan for pulping. Among those books were collections of national heritage, which explained the nation's origins and history.

Records of criminal activity destroyed to protect the guilty.

On September 20, 2010 the Pentagon bought and burned 9,500 copies of Operation Dark Heart, nearly all the first run copies for supposedly containing classified information.

In 1812 the Goa Inquisition was suppressed, after hundreds of years in which it had been enacting various kinds of religious persecution in the Portuguese colony of Goa, India. In the aftermath, most of the Goa Inquisition's records were destroyed – a great loss to historians, making it is impossible to know the exact number of the Inquisition's victims.

n 1868 the French police, under Napoleon the Third, seized the extensive papers and Europe-wide correspondence of the Parisian Pacifist and Social Reformer Edmond Potonie. The papers, which might have been of considerable value to historians, have disappeared irrevocably and are assumed to have been destroyed.

In 1901 the Russian Council of Ministers banned a five-volume work on the socioeconomic conditions of Jews in the Russian Empire, the result of a decade-long comprehensive statistical research commissioned by Ivan Bloch. (It was entitled "Comparison of the material and moral levels in the Western Great-Russian and Polish Regions"). The research's conclusions – that Jewish economic activity was beneficial to the Empire - refuted antisemitic demagoguery and were disliked by the government, which ordered all copies to be seized and burned. Only a few survived, circulating as great rarities.

Yrjö Leino, a Communist activist, was Finland's Minister of the Interior in the crucial 1945–1948 period. In 1948 he suddenly resigned for reasons which remain unclear and went into retirement. Leino returned to the public eye in 1958 with his memoirs of his time as Minister of the Interior. The manuscript was prepared in secret – even most of the staff of the publishing company Tammi were kept in ignorance – but the project was revealed by Leino because of an indiscretion just before the planned publication. It turned out the Soviet Union was very strongly opposed to publication of the memoirs. The Soviet Union's Chargé d'affaires in Finland Ivan Filippov (Ambassador Viktor Lebedev had suddenly departed from Finland a few weeks earlier on October 21, 1958) demanded that Prime Minister Karl-August Fagerholm's government prevent the release of Leino's memoirs. Fagerholm said that the government could legally do nothing, because the work had not yet been released nor was there censorship in Finland. Filippov advised that if Leino's book was published, the Soviet Union would draw "serious conclusions". Later the same day Fagerholm called the publisher, Untamo Utrio, and it was decided that the January launch of the book was to be cancelled. Eventually, the entire print run of the book was destroyed at the Soviet Union's request. Almost all of the books – some 12,500 copies – were burned in August 1962 with the exception of a few volumes which were furtively sent to political activists. Deputy director of Tammi Jarl Hellemann later argued that the fuss about the book was completely disproportionate to its substance, describing the incident as the first instance of Finnish self-censorship motivated by concerns about relations to the Soviet Union (see Finlandization).[194] The book was finally published in 1991, when interest in it had largely dissipated.

Anthony Comstock founded the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice (NYSSV) in 1873 and over the years burned 15 TONS of books, 284,000 pounds of plate, and almost 4 million pictures. The NYSSV was financed by wealthy and influential New York philanthropists. Lobbying the United States Congress also led to the enactment of the Comstock laws. (Considering the time frame of when photography was invented, 4 million pictures would probably constitute every picture ever taken by 1873).

Italian Nationalist literature
(by Austrian authorities in Trieste)
The authorities had the condemned material meticulously weighted, it was found to measure no less than 4.7 metric tons. Thereupon, on February 13, 1909, the books and periodicals were officially burned at the Servola blast furnaces.

Of the surviving documents that escaped obliteration, most can be found in technical or academic books/paper which most people don't read. Links for follow-up investigation are provided below. I recommend tracking the bibliography sources to see what the authors had to say about the surviving documents since most of us are not academicians and will never have access to the documents the authors viewed.

List of destroyed libraries - Wikipedia

List of book-burning incidents - Wikipedia (This link has an extensive bibliography worth investigating)

"ISIS Burns 8000 Rare Books and Manuscripts in Mosul"

"Lebanon Loses 78000 Books To Terrorism: Tripoli's "Al Sa'eh" Library Burned". Archived from the original on 2014-01-05.

Fleeing Islamists burn priceless Timbuktu library, accessed 29 January 2013

The House of Wisdom was destroyed during the Mongol invasion of Baghdad in 1258, along with all other libraries in Baghdad. It was said that the waters of the Tigris ran black for six months with ink from the enormous quantities of books flung into the river.

During the Kumul Rebellion in Xinjiang in the 1930s, Buddhist murals were vandalized by Muslims.

Andrew Nikiforuk (30 December 2013). "Secret Memo Casts Doubt on Feds' Claims for Science Library Closures: Goal stated is 'culling' research, not preserving and sharing through digitization". The Tyee. (Now this is a curious turn of events. Why would the federal government want to destroy decades of aquatic research and cover up their atrocity with the lie of "preserving it for the people")?

"Irreplaceable research lost from purged federal libraries: BC Green Party MLA Andrew Weaver says government didn't digitize entire libraries as promised". News1130. 6 January 2014.

A Moscow library containing rare UN documents, ancient Slavic texts, and 14 million books is on fire (2015)

Repository UP AC ZA

death Archives - Andrea Gibbons

I haven't even really touched on all the buildings, statues, monuments, paintings and other aspects of a people's heritage that have been bombed to smithereens, deliberately torched, or otherwise demolished. And, as I mentioned, no one is really even paying attention to the technical heritage that has been lost to history. Sometimes I think we don't deserve a planet.
Google's can do it better, as far as 1 single click.

Google's Book-Scanning Project Is Legal, U.S. Appeals Court Says

OP
whitewave

whitewave

Reactions
There are various efforts by several groups/organizations to digitize online libraries. Digital records are too easy to alter but it's better than nothing. Another thing I've noticed about digitization is that in some of the copies hurriedly put online information on the digitized page has been covered with another sheet of paper. I've seen it on a few Guttenburg online library copies where fragments of the original page are slightly sticking out of the edges of the paper covering it. Even with digitization we're not getting the whole picture.

RecycledSoul

Reactions
I was watching a random “items banned in America” YT vid this morning that auto-cued after SoNews. I watched it because they didn’t say North America, or South, so I wasn’t sure which continent was implied (didn’t say USA, but that’s who the British accent referred to, go figure). It said that all children’s books that were not printed in the last 33 years were banned from resale (2018 vid) by any book store or distributor. This caught me off guard, my Granddaughter is now reading hardback books my mom read to me in the early 70’s, they have been well taken care of and passed down to 3rd gen now. The reason they gave was Lead! Lead in the paper, or the ink? It didn’t specify. Did a quick Goo-gaul search, & was stunned by the number of different results. Here is an interesting read that points to illustrations, etc:
The New Book Banning

So if the statement highlighted in my screenshot below is true, why bother? Something underlying is being obscured, if I were to guess.

Attachments

Last edited: