Baalbek: are we building the Temple of Jupiter?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Intresting photo of the Temple of Jupiter located in Baalbek.

Are those German “archaeologists” building it, or adding details to legitimate ruins?

If it’s a ruin, why would you add a top corner to it, and do a whole bunch of other small things? Wasn’t it doing just fine for a thousand years? If it’s falling apart to the point it requires recementing and a fix for structural integrity... how could it stand there for a thousand years?

The columns do not look too old, but it’s a b&w photo, so can’t be sure.

Of course the official version states that it was the restoration. Supposedly it was done in 1898.

E9D1E651-66A1-4A50-8196-EF4A5C757FF5.jpeg890A6CD7-9045-4483-BB5E-B2B76599A34E.jpeg
058B30AB-B960-4D6A-ADE3-4D65C0AD4EA7.jpeg839D36F7-DF87-463A-9C23-A011CDCC9BA0.jpeg

whitewave

Reactions
Why repair a ruin at all? Either rebuild it to its former glory or leave it as a "ruin". If it's falling apart, doesn't that add to the whole flavor of it being a ruin? A renovated ruins is an oxymoron.

whitewave

Reactions
When was this? I hadn't heard but, as I've mentioned, I don't listen to the "news" (propaganda). There are many, many stone henges around the world, especially in Britain (which includes more than the UK). You talking about THE stonehenge? I understand that stonehenge has modern tool markings like the great pyramids do. Know anything about that?

whitewave

Reactions
The hell you say! But, but, but, history says....
There's one in Whales (iirc) that's much older and is now underwater.

humanoidlord

Reactions
When was this? I hadn't heard but, as I've mentioned, I don't listen to the "news" (propaganda). There are many, many stone henges around the world, especially in Britain (which includes more than the UK). You talking about THE stonehenge? I understand that stonehenge has modern tool markings like the great pyramids do. Know anything about that?
yes the stonehenge, and there is athread right here about it

davewave

Reactions
Archaeologists love restoring temples and other architectural structures.

The main reason I would imagine would be for tourism. More people than not like to see ruins that are ruined, but not that ruined. Old, but not broken.

The older photos show a pretty ragged looking thing. The restored version is much more aesthetically pleasing, and thus probably draws more visitors.

It's all about the money, money, money.

Although, as per UNESCO regulations, the repairs/restorations have to be both period correct and easily reversible. No more using rusting iron clamps to keep columns together.