Astronaut plugged the hole in ISS with his finger

dreamtime

Reactions
A couple of months ago some guy on youtube predicted the ISS movie to end this time with Gerst up there, or to put it differently, they will make the ISS disappear in a big disaster for the masses to mourn about this epitome of science, enlightment, technology, etc.

Imho the narrative for such an event would be like "We had all those great people up there doing peaceful science, while people on earth are always hating each other etc, so much science, so much knowledge, selfless heroes fighting for advancement of technology, empty space, blabla"

One reason being that it's not sustainable to keep the lie going for infinity, as they are basically doing nothing productive up there except eating pizza and playing soccer, and at some point this would become obvious.

Anyay, let's see what will happen, maybe he's actually right.

And I have to say when looking at how Gerst is playing his role right now, it definitely looks like all of the material that is published on his twitter account could be used to create some pretty emotional picture.

This small hole event could prepare the masses for the idea that the ISS can fail.

Last edited:

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
A couple of months ago some guy on youtube predicted the ISS movie to end this time with Gerst up there, or to put it differently, they will make the ISS disappear in a big disaster for the masses to mourn about this epitome of science, enlightment, technology, etc.

Imho the narrative for such an event would be like "We had all those great people up there doing peaceful science, while people on earth are always hating each other etc, so much science, so much knowledge, selfless heroes fighting for advancement of technology, empty space, blabla"

One reason being that it's not sustainable to keep the lie going for infinity, as they are basically doing nothing productive up there except eating pizza and playing soccer, and at some point this would become obvious.

Anyay, let's see what will happen, maybe he's actually right.

This small hole event could prepare the masses for the idea that the ISS can fail.
I can see that being the case. I don't know if it is up there or not. Or if space is a vacuum or not. But I have worked with pressure vessels, even had a license to that effect for a while. I might be too out of practice to do the math beyond basic pressure and force, but I've long understood the basic concepts and have seen them hold true time and time again. I don't have to take anyone's word for it. If we can grant the assumptions that space exists and is near empty, and that the ISS exists and is in LEO, and is of its stated volume and is pressurized to 14.7, then the hole, at 2mm diameter, is no big deal. Fingers, thumbs, or tape are immaterial.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I don't think there is any occupied ISS there. Something is definitely flying, but I can not go as far as placing a person on there. But that's besides the point.

As far as fingers go. I would like to see (not because I want to see somebody injured obviously) a person attach his thumb to a 1/4 inch tube with all the air pumped out of that tube to when it equals the vacuum pressure outside of the ISS.

Everybody really thinks that there will be no major damage to that thumb?

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
I don't think there is any occupied ISS there. Something is definitely flying, but I can not go as far as placing a person on there. But that's besides the point.

As far as fingers go. I would like to see (not because I want to see somebody injured obviously) a person attach his thumb to a 1/4 inch tube with all the air pumped out of that tube to when it equals the vacuum pressure outside of the ISS.

Everybody really thinks that there will be no major damage to that thumb?
Even the wiki on uncontrolled decompression agrees that human skin is tough enough to withstand a pressure drop of one atmosphere.

They aren't just supposing either, it's happened enough times to be looked at pretty thoroughly.

Or look at it on the flip side, it wouldn't be much different. How much pressure can develop in cases of horrendous swelling. Im not sure, but I've seen a hand with my own eyes that looked like a basketball, due to severe allergic reaction. All fingers grown together, no movement possible.
The physical structures of the body are capable of handling significant differences of pressure, with few permanent effects.

Last edited:

Timeshifter

Reactions
Here's a video about the inside of the ISS:

All of that money, tech, collaboration of countries and yet not one single frame of actual footage of it being assembled? From a pro film maker/ editors perspective I would argue that I have never seen a frame of 'real' footage from space. Being from the UK, the Tim Peake stuff is laughable, but the school kids love it...

The Iss, or as some like to call it, it The Internatinal Fake Station, something is flying about up there, I have filmed the white dot, but in my opinion it is not what they say it is, but what it is, is anyones guess.

As for the OP @KorbenDallas great call, my guess is that this is just more theatre of distraction for the masses :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KorbenDallas Space Travel and Moon Landing 31