Question | Al Naslaa Rock Formation: how did this happen?

Reaction score
I wanted to ask this question for a while now. Here is what we are being told:
  • There are many natural occurrences that might puzzle a traveler.
  • One of them is Al Naslaa Rock Formation, located in Tayma oasis, Saudi Arabia.
  • The perfect slit between the two standing stones and the flat faces are completely natural. Note the small pedestals supporting the boulders.
    • How long will they remain balanced here?
    • How did the cut in the middle happen?
  • Most likely the ground shifted slightly underneath one of the two supports and the rock split.
  • Could be from a volcanic dike of some weaker mineral that solidified there before everything was exhumed.
  • Or, it could be an old pressure crack (you see a parallel crack just to the right of it) that has been pushed/pulled apart some.
  • Or, it could be an old (minor) fault line, since fault motion often creates a zone of weakened rock that erodes relatively easier than the surrounding rock.
  • Al Naslaa Rock Formation
  • What is the Al Naslaa Rock Formation in Saudi Arabia?
Al-Naslaa-A.jpg

Ok, I understand when some huge rock splits like the Split Apple Rock (allegedly) did in New Zealand.

rock2.jpg

What I struggle to consider a natural split is this.

Al-Naslaa-c.jpg

KD: Do you have an opinion on this rock? What do you think happened to it?

One piece was cut from this rock apparently.

There are those who think that if you drill one inch holes where you have to break it and nail an edge in the middle it will break perfectly and they make examples of guys like this:

How can a rock that size stay in perfect balance?

Upvote 1
This is definitely a plausible version, but considering that Al-'Ula is located only 78 miles away...

Al-'Ula-r.jpg

Map
I have my doubts. Unless they were skilled enough to also produce the below using the method shown in the video. On the other hand, if that rock is a sand stone, things could be possible... to a degree.
  • Them "professionals" insist that the OP split was natural... :cool:
Al-'Ula1.jpg

Source

Upvote 0
roca.jpg

5.jpg

Some people think that they could even be two rocks because they do not coincide in the shape of this rock seen from behind.

It is said that if you are not a practicing Muslim, you are not allowed to enter this area.

10.jpg

This rock from the same place, appears to be weathered underneath like the cut rock. Similar to what happens when water wears away the rock.

20.jpg

Here are some other rock cuts quite well done.

Upvote 0

Similar articles

Back