Alexander the Great, Super Hero

Red Bird

Reactions
After writing this post I started thinking about how it seems his mother planned his take over from his birth. Is most of it just propaganda from his mother’s faction of myth building?
I’ve always thought, how did he conquer so much by age 32, plus obviously having an alcohol problem?

We may only be able speculate but it could be fun. This may be a topic here already. I’m notoriously bad at finding old threads. We are starting our 2 months of summer so instead of doing research before, thought I’d throw it out there.

Saw the link didn’t go to my post

remembered reading that Alexander the Great’s mother, Olympias, was one interesting woman. Definitely a mamma’s boy
The Mother of Alexander the Great: Olympias - History of Royal Women

Philip walked in to find Olympias sleeping with snakes, which basically brought an end to their relationship. Olympias was known to be a devout member of the cult, Dionysos. Dionysos, in Greek mythology, was the son of Zeus and Semele who had a cult dedicated to him. Olympias, who was a longtime member of the cult, may have introduced the practice of snake handling to the cult.

It’s said she told Alexander that Zeus was his father. Zeus was often depicted with horns, so it’s probably symbology to give him god status. Maybe he actually had them, though

Last edited:

Obertryn

Reactions
Considering the amount of insane crap that Alexander managed to pull off during his life, I would not be very surprised to hear that he was the bastard child of some "god" or other.

Jim Duyer

Reactions
After writing this post I started thinking about how it seems his mother planned his take over from his birth. Is most of it just propaganda from his mother’s faction of myth building?
I’ve always thought, how did he conquer so much by age 32, plus obviously having an alcohol problem?

We may only be able speculate but it could be fun. This may be a topic here already. I’m notoriously bad at finding old threads. We are starting our 2 months of summer so instead of doing research before, thought I’d throw it out there.

Saw the link didn’t go to my post

remembered reading that Alexander the Great’s mother, Olympias, was one interesting woman. Definitely a mamma’s boy
The Mother of Alexander the Great: Olympias - History of Royal Women

Philip walked in to find Olympias sleeping with snakes, which basically brought an end to their relationship. Olympias was known to be a devout member of the cult, Dionysos. Dionysos, in Greek mythology, was the son of Zeus and Semele who had a cult dedicated to him. Olympias, who was a longtime member of the cult, may have introduced the practice of snake handling to the cult.

It’s said she told Alexander that Zeus was his father. Zeus was often depicted with horns, so it’s probably symbology to give him god status. Maybe he actually had them, though
His mother was a priestess in the serpent cult in Macedonia. She claimed in one early report that she slept with a serpent and gave birth to Alexander. This probably did not help to curb his intense desire to take over the world - imagine your own mother claiming you as a godly parentage.

OP
Red Bird

Red Bird

Reactions
Portrait of Alexander the Great (Getty Museum)

Identified by his mass of leonine hair, his young idealized face, and his deep-set, upturned eyes, Alexander the Great was the first Greek ruler to understand and exploit the propagandistic powers of portraiture. Ancient literary sources say that he let only one sculptor carve his portrait: Lysippos (active ca. 370-300 B.C.), who created the standard Alexander portrait type.

Adding to my thoughts that from what I’ve read (which is not that much and not scholarly) his empire was some fighting and most of the conquered areas went back to business as usual. Perhaps that he was just used by the local politicians to stage coups or whatever- just as his mother used him.
While back at home his mother killed off competitors, including his father, brother and sister spreading
Alexander /Zeus propaganda. Also trying to run his campaign for him by messaging.
It all made a good stories, as the Greeks loved. Not much has changed, right?
I thought someone may be more of an expert to help flesh out his life. I actually feel sort of sorry for him, whatever I read.

I’ve also read he was intrinsic to spreading the Greek language...

Last edited:
OP
Red Bird

Red Bird

Reactions
What sources would those be? And when did we first find ut about them?
Right. I did think about that but it fit in with the propaganda, super hero character, and really could work both ways- propaganda by his mom, if original, and later hero myth making if not (most likely). Perhaps he’s the original remake (after Troy) and it worked so well they kept doing it. I guess I just get from his story it was all propaganda from the beginning in his case and not only changed later.
Here’s more of the Getty caption LOL
This life-size head, said to have been found in Megara, was part of a multi-figured group, which probably served as a funerary monument for a courtier who wanted to associate himself with the ruler. The Getty Museum has over thirty fragments of this group, which might have depicted a sacrificial scene. The participants include Alexander, his companion Hephaistion, a goddess, Herakles, a flute player, and several other figures, as well as animals and birds.

The head was re-carved in antiquity. The left ear was added, the right sideburn shortened, and the lower eyelids recut.

Last edited:

nothingnew

Reactions
I was gonna make a thread on how his troops marched thousands of cross-country miles wearing sandals. Would like to see a group of historians to repeat that.

I walked about 3 miles in the Utah Canyonland. Big mistake it was. Huge.

Sean Hross walks and backpacks in sandals through most of Europe. 🤨

RecycledSoul

Reactions
In the 80’s the Euro Metal Group Iron Maiden put out an album with a song about Alexander. There is an associated quote:
“My son, ask for thyself another kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.” King Phillip of Macedonia

I wonder if this is a real quote, or something they made up. I apologize if it’s a little off topic, but I’ve been wondering this since the 80’s. I’ve based my adult life on it, holding my father in high regard, but wanting to pass on more to my children than he could. Not necessarily money, more like being closer to my kids and grandkids.

OP
Red Bird

Red Bird

Reactions
Request: South American Philippopolis-city. Any info?

Lost my link to this but general info: Alexander/Phillip his father was Macedonian and looked down upon by the Greeks, supposedly taught by Aristotle (did he exist? Different topic). Then he spread Hellenistic culture all over his conquered lands including Persia although he only lived a few years after the conquest. How ironic. He traveled with a large group of scholars, etc.
Napoleon was Corsican, not French, and it’s said he traveled with a group scholars, etc. plus their humongous armies of course.
An aside- hitler was Austrian, and not German...

Are they the same person? Just kidding but how far apart were these world conquests? Is this a normal human pattern, copying strategies of armies, fake reportage of history over and over?