Albigensian Crusade: The genocide of the Cathars

Onthebit

Reactions
New Earth posted a video about the Cathari.

"The Cathari (also known as Cathars, Albigensians, or Catharism) were followers of a controversial religious sect that flourished in the Languedoc region of France between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries before they were eradicated by the Albigensian Crusade and the subsequent Roman CatholicInquisition. "

I was intrigued by their 'religious practices' or way of life. So intrigued I am awake at 3:30 am looking up more:

"The Cathars claimed that there existed within humankind a spark of divine light. This light, or spirit, had fallen into captivity within a realm of corruption—identified with the physical body and world. This was a distinct feature of classical Gnosticism, of Manichaeism and of the theology of the Bogomils. This concept of the human condition within Catharism was most probably due to direct and indirect historical influences from these older (and sometimes also violently suppressed) Gnostic movements. According to the Cathars, the world had been created by a lesser deity, much like the figure known in classical Gnostic myth as the Demiurge. This creative force was identified with the Old Testament God and seen as the "False God," though he claimed for himself the title of the "one and only God." The Cathars identified this lesser deity, the Demiurge, with Satan. Thus, the Cathars believed that the Old Testament God of Jews and Christians was an impostor, and worship of this God was a corrupt abomination infused by the failings of the material realm. Spirit—the vital essence of humanity—was thus trapped in a polluted world created by a usurper God and ruled by his corrupt minions. "
Cathari - New World Encyclopedia

Now this world is starting to make sense!!! This is what I was looking for.....

Last edited:

Mabzynn

Reactions
I've never been able to understand the time period.

Philip IV supposedly captured Pope Boniface VIII for heresy following the whole papal bull declaration in the early 1300's...

I'm getting more of a "Cybele/Mater Syriae" impression after I see art of this guy. The fleur-de-lis roots are much older than the supposed French trinity. Anyway the entire time period just reads as fiction to me and I'm not really sure what truth is available for us anymore.

PhilipTheFair.jpg

800px-Bust_of_Philippe_le_Bel_SaintDenis.jpg

mothersyriae.JPEG

OP
Onthebit

Onthebit

Reactions
She mentions in the video the questionable dating... she alluded they may have been around much more recently.

AnthroposRex

Reactions
New Earth posted a video about the Cathari.

"The Cathari (also known as Cathars, Albigensians, or Catharism) were followers of a controversial religious sect that flourished in the Languedoc region of France between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries before they were eradicated by the Albigensian Crusade and the subsequent Roman CatholicInquisition. "

I was intrigued by their 'religious practices' or way of life. So intrigued I am awake at 3:30 am looking up more:

"The Cathars claimed that there existed within humankind a spark of divine light. This light, or spirit, had fallen into captivity within a realm of corruption—identified with the physical body and world. This was a distinct feature of classical Gnosticism, of Manichaeism and of the theology of the Bogomils. This concept of the human condition within Catharism was most probably due to direct and indirect historical influences from these older (and sometimes also violently suppressed) Gnostic movements. According to the Cathars, the world had been created by a lesser deity, much like the figure known in classical Gnostic myth as the Demiurge. This creative force was identified with the Old Testament God and seen as the "False God," though he claimed for himself the title of the "one and only God." The Cathars identified this lesser deity, the Demiurge, with Satan. Thus, the Cathars believed that the Old Testament God of Jews and Christians was an impostor, and worship of this God was a corrupt abomination infused by the failings of the material realm. Spirit—the vital essence of humanity—was thus trapped in a polluted world created by a usurper God and ruled by his corrupt minions. "
Cathari - New World Encyclopedia

Now this world is starting to make sense!!! This is what I was looking for.....
This has been one of my favorite macro theories based on intuition and personal experience.

jd755

Reactions
A slight aside, if I may. i watched this back in December 2018. Does this lady recycle her videos frequently or when she has updated them?

OP
Onthebit

Onthebit

Reactions
A slight aside, if I may. i watched this back in December 2018. Does this lady recycle her videos frequently or when she has updated them?
I think she does update some. This appeared as new to me so I figure I missed it the first time around.

inquisitor

Reactions
The Cathars have always been fascinating for me as a Neoplatonist, and they are one of my favorite historical cases of religious oddballs in due part because of their association with Gnosticism which has its own affinities with Neoplatonism. It doesn't appear to be a widespread idea, but there are some who have suggested that the Cathars were essentially a remnant of neoplatonic pagans. Even though the Cathars are evidently Gnostic in their beliefs, traditional Neoplatonism and Gnosticism are both very similar despite both having come to very different conclusions.

I find it interesting that the video points out the Cathar artifacts in the museum dated to the 14th century CE, which would evidently contradict the traditional Scaligerian chronology. They really are an enigma.

JWW427

Reactions
Similar to the Inquisition which taught to eradicate women druids who held firm the Divine Feminine, a creational energy that was a threat to the church's power structure of patriarchy, was the persecution of the Cathars.
Gnosticism was too close to the truth of the universe (astrology and cosmology worship), and so the Cathars were ruthlessly hunted down.
I believe many genocides have similar goals. Sadly.

JWW