Abuna Yemata Guh, Ethiopia's Chapel in the sky

BrokenAgate

Reactions

What in the world IS this?? I mean, really, just look at that thing, perched 2,580 meters (8460 ft.) off the ground. Wackypedia has little to say about it, except that it was supposedly hewn in the 6th Century. No mention is made of HOW this was done, though. How did the workers have enough space to swing a hammer without falling off the rocks??

Abuna Yamata.jpg

Gotta be really devoted to want to climb all that way just for mass.

I feel that this is one of those things we are not being told the truth about, simply because nobody has a damn clue what it really is. It just makes no sense, and so historians just give it a brief description and hope we'll all buy it. Locals made up a history of their own about it, because they don't know, either. I can't help but think that the holes in the upper part of this rock, where a chapel now stands, are the last remnants of some rock-cut structure that was once much more extensive. Where it is now, is where the ground used to be. In other words, those pillars are what was left after something blasted away most of the rock and earth for thousands of square miles, leaving only a few pillars of rock remaining with whatever was attached to them. Another possibility (maybe): those pillars were extruded from the ground as gigantic crystalline formations, lifting whatever was perched on top of them high into the air. The pillar on which the chapel stands is part of a long ridge of similar tall, jagged rocks that don't seem to resemble any of the mountains around them, even though they are made of the same type of rock. I could be wrong, as it's hard to make a judgment from Google satellite maps.

Anyone else have any ideas about this odd chapel in the sky?

jd755

Reactions
Heard of Ethiopian Christianity before but never this place. Apparently the locals guide people up to the chapel and the actual climb is 600-650 feet (depends on whose account you read) with a very short vertical bit where they get to use a rope and do it barefoot for grip. Lots of travel blogs with pictures here's one.

Abuna Yemata Guh #GheraltaGuide

whitewave

Reactions
I don't even see steps. How did anyone get up there? Have the steps always been there or were they added after it rose from the ground (if that's what happened)?

BStankman

Reactions
More cargo cult behavior. Reminds me of Mustang Tibet but it is a repeating pattern worldwide.
Cue for Ice Nine to show up with amazing photos.

Dig out the ruins of a prediluvian skyscraper of looking for treasure and technology.
See the what was left behind by the Watchers. "those who are awake" "a holy one come down from heaven "
Turn the barely accessible place into a destination of holy pilgrimage.

The watchers are bound "in the valleys of the Earth". Bound by mud perhaps.

abuna-yemata-guh-66.jpg

Ice Nine

Reactions
I'm completely convinced all of the "Sky Caves" and ridiculously placed temples on high peaks and crumbling ledges and freestanding sandstone outcroppings were at one time all at ground level or at least on a higher peak that was easily accessed by the builders.

I feel we are missing the overall big picture. I can only explain through photos to illustrate what I am thinking has happened over much time.
Take Monument Valley for one example, the same idea can be applied worldwide.

I don't think these sandstone buttes just sprang from the ground like mushrooms, at one time the ground level was at the top of the buttes, the reason they are now buttes is because all the dirt has weathered away, because of erosion do to natural occurrences and ancient mining and logging of the planet. The winds of time slowly eroding the sandstone away until we are left with tourist attractions and wondering how anybody could have built something on top of this.
monument-valley-view-from-hunts-mesa.jpg

It's the same deal with all the mountain tops places in my mind. Structures get built originally on a higher, but easy to access point. And then in the case of Meteora it looks like a mud flood went through the area and up the sides of the temples, whereas other places, I think it was do to wind and water erosion. Monument Valley and Abuna Yemata Guh.
Meteora Monasteries, Greece and Hermit caves

Another example of what I believe has happened is cave cities. they were all above ground at one time too. A town gets buried in ash and then is further buried with mud or a pyroclastic flow, everything hardens over time and you have this. Somebody spots an opening in exposed volcanic tuff and starts digging, instant cave town. Look how much overburden has been deposited over the buried town. the darker layer on top clearly visible. You see this everywhere when shown a cross section.

Vardzia.jpg

vardzia1.jpg

VonKitty

Reactions
That place is amazing!
... maybe it’s one of those giant silicon tree stumps mentioned in the YouTube video There are No Forests on Flat Earth ??

Last edited:
OP
BrokenAgate

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Wait, this is supposed to be man-made? It looks like an ordinary rock formation to me, not particularly weird or carefully designed.
I can't tell if the caves are natural and were decorated to look more homey, or if they were cut out of the rock somehow, like those rock-cut ruins that Sylvie Ivanova mentions in many of her videos. It would definitely be much easier to carry buckets of paint up those rocks to make murals on already existing walls, than to carve the actual chambers out of the rock.
Post automatically merged:

Ice Nine said:
I don't think these sandstone buttes just sprang from the ground like mushrooms, at one time the ground level was at the top of the buttes, the reason they are now buttes is because all the dirt has weathered away, because of erosion do to natural occurrences and ancient mining and logging of the planet. The winds of time slowly eroding the sandstone away until we are left with tourist attractions and wondering how anybody could have built something on top of this.
When I look at satellite views of this region, it looks as if some horrific flood came through and washed away the landscape, or else it was blasted by plasma rays, or it's a ginormous mining site. I don't see much slow erosion over millions of years, because then wouldn't there be millions of years of debris all over the place? Instead, we have valley bottoms that are completely flat, as if they went through major excavation, either naturally or artificially.

Last edited:

HulkSmash

Reactions
Here's a thought. I was listening to something the other day about pole shifts, and crustal shifts. Could it be that there was an event, not too long ago, for example a crustal shift. The author was positing: what if a crustal shift happened in a matter of minutes? Like the whole crust, or a large part of it, literally moved hundreds of miles in a matter of moments. The ensuing floods would be crazy, like thousand foot high tsunamis going inland for hundreds and hundreds of miles. How long would the flood waters remain inland? The author posited that the subsequent draining could actually be fairly short also, maybe a matter of days or weeks. There would be crazy violent flash flooding, the kind that could literally scour a landscape and erode hundreds of feet very quickly. I remember a long time ago some scientist theorizing that the Grand Canyon could have happened in a short period of time. With enough water, it could carve huge canyons, quickly. Crustal shifts could also support major land areas being risen up, like for example the Richat Structure area in Mauritania. There may also be areas where the water didn't hit based on geography, or just a smaller amount. There is that archaeology find in Siberia, where they found thousands of skeletons of dozens of different kinds of critters, like mammoths, that was clearly the result of a massive flood collecting the corpses in one area. That would have had to have been a lot of water, very quickly to be able to collect that many critters. Just a thought, I still do not know what I believe yet, but I personally think a crustal shift is in the realm of possibility.

Ice Nine

Reactions
For sure it could have happened fast, a crustal shift or something Lake Missoula letting go. Massive amounts of water due to some force of nature, especially if the area was heavily mined and deforested by somebody and who can really say how much collateral damage was done when Yellowstone Supervolcano erupted a few times.

It's hard to try and describe what a person thinks could account for temples perched on impossibly high rock spires, but it's as if the ground around then has just gone away.

jd755

Reactions
Some time ago, quite some time ago, I read "When the sky fell" by Rose and Rand Flem-Ath. The basic argument/premise is that on occasions part of the crust drops instantly and the resulting devastation creates all sorts of problems across the world. They argue that this is the likely mechanism that took out Atlantis.
However not being sold even back then on this hot iron ore with a cold crust theory I was sold, and swallowed 'at skule' I didn't look into it any further.

OP
BrokenAgate

BrokenAgate

Reactions
It's hard to try and describe what a person thinks could account for temples perched on impossibly high rock spires, but it's as if the ground around then has just gone away.
Same deal with Meteora, Greece. I just don't see any way for these things to have been constructed like that, hundreds of feet off the ground, with no room for workers to move around and set up equipment. Nobody ever explains how it was done, they just assert that it was, because hey! There they are! So, we are left with mental images of men hoisting bricks, mortar, scaffolding, tools, wooden beams, and other materials up the sides of the rocks with some kind of rope-and-pulley system, and somehow managing to find enough footholds to do their jobs without plummeting to their deaths in a very messy fashion. Does this make any sense at all? Has any building ever been constructed like that? Maybe, in modern times, we'd be able to helicopter the materials to the site, but these things were built long before helicopters existed. But if those buildings were at ground level once, and then most of the ground was removed, we'd be left with buildings perched on tall spires of rock. Whenever I look at buildings like this, I shudder a little, thinking of the people who might have been inside them when whatever-it-was happened. Imagine surviving something like that. Imagine looking out the windows upon a blasted landscape where your city, your friends, and your home used to be.

Verity

Reactions
Heard of Ethiopian Christianity before but never this place. Apparently the locals guide people up to the chapel and the actual climb is 600-650 feet (depends on whose account you read) with a very short vertical bit where they get to use a rope and do it barefoot for grip. Lots of travel blogs with pictures here's one.

Abuna Yemata Guh #GheraltaGuide
I read the link and it said '..they bring their dead to be buried.'
This bit; 'Ethiopians that attend this church on a regular basis will bring their babies up here to be baptized as well as their dead to be buried. In Ethiopian Orthodox tradition many of the services are at night and members of the congregation will make their way up to Abuna Yemata Guh in the dark.'

Seriously. I guess they mean a memorial service rather than a 'Weekend at Bernies'-style rope gig?

Ice Nine

Reactions
It has also reminded me of this sinkhole in Missouri that’s being excavated. Of course on a much smaller scale, yet similar rock formations.
View attachment 21014
I was just thinking about this! I saw it on TV awhile back on an "In Search of", it's extremely similar, they just need to keep excavating and he will have a mini Monument Valley.