Abandoned 1870s Venice. Where are the people?

whitewave

Reactions
When was this picture taken? I read that the plague was in Venice in 1814-1815 during the Vienna Congress.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions

wizz33

Reactions
i thought the warehouses looked like a hangers, and by radar i mean propulsion of the ships

davewave

Reactions
If the exposure was extremely long, then most, if not all individuals would not appear.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
If the exposure was extremely long, then most, if not all individuals would not appear.
Exposure Info: The truth is that very early daguerreotypes (those from 1839-1845) did take 60-90 seconds of sitting still to capture an image, but the majority of daguerreotypes we see today are from post-1845, when new technology (the addition of bromine fumes to the process) reduced exposure times to a few seconds. - source

davewave

Reactions
For the movie, "28 Days Later," they managed to film many parts of the normally bustling London entirely sans people, so it is possible to get views of places that usually are busy to be completely empty.

Maybe the photographer took the picture at like 3 in the morning when nobody is out, and set the exposure to an insane length.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
They did the exact same thing in the movie I Am Legend.

We can speculate what the photographer did, or did not do. It's up to a person what to think, once the totality of circumstances is understood.