FBI investigation: secret underground tunnel discovered in Florida

There you go... to the “bank”, and from the middle of the paved roadway. What do you think is gonna happen to the tunnel?

secret-underground-tunnel-florida.jpg

What drivers believed to be a large pothole in the middle of the road in Pembroke Pines, Florida, turned out to be a hidden underground tunnel that authorities believe may lead to a nearby bank.
  • "The only thing I've ever seen like this is in the movies. This is truly a unique case here," FBI spokesman Mike Leverock said of the discovery. "It's very small, very claustrophobic." — Mike Leverock
Source: Secret underground tunnel discovered in Florida under investigation by FBI

Above is January, 2019, but what about the ones they discovered in Florida in November, 2018? ... for smuggling Chinese-Cuban prostitutes. Really?

florida_tunnels_1.jpg

- Mysterious tunnels discovered in Florida
- Mysterious tunnels that may have been used discovered in Tampa, Florida

A vast, perfectly designed brick tunnel beneath the earth? Leading miles away? Looks even more impressive when you look at the bank’s location, literally surrounded by geometrically sound little lakes.

BEFA3A54-4B84-426A-AD87-44BE1A2CBFD6.jpeg
1D6D9D1C-47D7-4448-A446-A8112D1709F4.jpeg

these lakes look like writing in some other language to me?

B91A9BF5-A758-4E60-AAC0-2265BEB299CE.jpeg

Well, if these tunnels do go for miles, these lakes had to complicate the excavation process by quite a margin.

Demolition work Tuesday (2018) unearthed the first new opening in 20 years to the old brick tunnels that serve as a reminder of Ybor City's smuggling past.
0E4A843F-E7C3-4302-AD00-23958002559E.jpeg
37A465BF-870B-4BCE-9C3E-D60DA9BD64D3.jpeg

Where is the map ?
It reminded me covered river in my town. Some parts of the flow was covered in 1907 with concrete structure, and it appears that they also used an old brick tunnels to reroute the flow somehere. So, the river flows underground through the entire city now.
When they excavated some places in 2022, I didn't catch the moment they demolished the old brickwork on top of the river, but you can imagine how it looked like (I pointed it in yellow).

River appears to be still uncovered in 1840:

IMG_1107.jpg

Concrete covering from year 1907:

Hloubeni noveho koryta Bystrice predchazejici zakryti v roce 1907, vpravo bude postavena Metel...jpg

In the back you can see the a new concrete version from 2022:

IMG_3081.jpg

Similar articles

Back