A historical house in Phoenix, Arizona

BrokenAgate

Reactions
I stayed with a friend in Phoenix over the weekend so we could go to Matsuri, a Japanese festival that happens every year. They close off a couple of streets so that booths and displays can be set up. On one street is a beautiful old house that still has its metal devices intact! It is called the Rosson House Museum. I took as many pictures as I could, but it was difficult because of the crowds of people everywhere. You can find some info and a good long shot of it here: The Rosson House | Heritage Square You can also find some good interior shots in a Google search.

Here is one front corner of the house and the main entrance. As is typical of these "Victorian" style houses, the door is on a level above the street and you have to go up stairs to get there.

There are lower level windows converted to grated basement windows. These were probably originally on the first floor.

Some views of the roof. Why would you put an iron fence along the peak of a roof? It looks pretty, but would add an unnecessary expense to the house and be heavy, requiring extra support structures inside the peak. If you wanted a fancy decoration, wouldn't a wooden design be cheaper, lighter, and easier to install?

Closeup of posts sticking up from the points of the roof. These are too short to be flag posts; in fact, on the bottom peak you can see a cream-colored flagpole holder that was added in modern times. "Just decorations," we are told, but if so, it's an odd choice when a wooden design would be just as nice.

And finally, a closeup of the device on top of the tower. It is obviously not a weather vane, so what purpose did this thing serve?

The real wonder is that all of these things survived to modern times. We know that, in many cases, iron railings, fences, gates, etc. were removed from homes supposedly to be melted down for war machines. If anyone here lives in Phoenix and can visit the inside of this house to get pictures, especially of the fireplace, feel free to do so and add them in the replies. It was roped off so that nobody could go inside. It's located at the Heritage & Science Park, 115 North 6th Street.
Post automatically merged:

Edited to fix the image links. Sorry about that. :/

Last edited: