2,000 year old bicycle from Panchavarnaswamy Temple

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Our contemporary science states that the bicycle was invented in 1817. The "Dandy horse", also called Draisienne or Laufmaschine, was the first human means of transport to use only two wheels in tandem and was invented by the German Baron Karl von Drais. It is regarded as the modern bicycle's forerunner; Drais introduced it to the public in Mannheim in summer 1817 and in Paris in 1818. Its rider sat astride a wooden frame supported by two in-line wheels and pushed the vehicle along with his or her feet while steering the front wheel.

Draisine_or_Laufmaschine.jpg
Meanwhile inside a 2,000 year old Indian Panchavarnaswamy Temple, there is an image of a bicycle looking object which some claim is also close to being 2,000 years old.

Panchavarnaswamy Temple bicycle_1.jpgPanchavarnaswamy Temple_2.jpg

I do not find it particularly surprising, for I am firmly convinced that people got smart much earlier than the beginning of the 19th century. Just figured it's a little interesting piece of info to share. Could it be some sort of a practical historical joke? Sure could, but is it?

humanoidlord

Reactions
hmm that looks to good to be true, could it be a modern prank by some bored teen?
i don't think they would let such a whooper slide by

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I doubt Indian authorities would allow for such an act of vandalism to happen inside a national monument. But who knows?

PrincepAugus

Reactions
Yo, Phenomenal Travel Videos got featured! I love his channel due to the fact he actually visits the sites mentioned and has found in-your-face proof about advanced technology. Scratch that, this is not advanced technology, but rather exactly modern technology being used during ancient times, we've never lost any of our abilities than. The only problem is that today we've lost our way to stone masonry and especially the truth.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
What if it’s not as Ancient as they say it is? Meaning not ancient at all. 250-300 years old.

hajni

Reactions
to me the style of carwing of the bicycle seems be a little out of place, not similar the other ancient art, so hard to believe in it's originality..
There are some very nice yoruba pieces on pinterest, not so old, but, I think, more authentic. (I don't know, whrere is the last one from, but it's surely modern.

yoruba.jpgancient bicycle.jpgbicikli.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The video guy calls this s carving. None of the stuff he shows in that temple is a carving. Casting may be. None of that stuff has to be 2,000 years old. We are told it is.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
Bicycles I don't think would take that long to think of. So in the ancient past it could happen. However, I'm thinking whether the carving/casting was done earlier with already knowledge of the European bicycle.

anotherlayer

Reactions
forget the bicycle, the machining of those columns is what is the most fascinating. anyone can fake a bicycle, but those columns? no way. and as far as the bicycle goes, i need to see more than one.

and sidenote, i love Praveen. his voice is both screeching and inviting at the same time, it's strange.

humanoidlord

Reactions
because it takes just a simple search to see when the bycicle was invented, and that is clearly a bycicle a modern design to boot, the mainstream interpretation of history would come crashing down
forget the bicycle, the machining of those columns is what is the most fascinating. anyone can fake a bicycle, but those columns? no way. and as far as the bicycle goes, i need to see more than one.
litteraly this
we should be focusing in the temple itself, not on what is carved on it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Plissken Single Photo Series 12