19th century photographs of the US Government in session prior to 1865. Where are they?

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Pertaining to this, allegedly 1890-sh flag. How come we can not have a normal one, like the history tells us. Also for 1890-ish they could have had a better quality photo in the archives somewhere. After all, it's not about the photo itself, it's about those who could be in the photograph, and even on the 1890 one, its impossible to see. That allegedly 1846 photograph of the Capitol building, shows that good photography was possible.

Indeed, what flag is this? Does resemble the Centennial one, though, to a certain degree.

us_flag_1.jpg

Tonep

Reactions
Here is my theory on this issue. The photographs would show people of color as equal members of the society.

Of course there could be another reason where some technological devices which were not supposed to exist would be present, but this one I doubt more.

Edit: Additionally may be some insignia, or unwanted memorabilia type stuff like Flags and what not.
they say of the 7 presidents we had under the Articles of Confederation, one of them was black

Tonep

Reactions
Here are some public domain photos of the United States Government in the 19th century. The latter photos display flags. I thought finding such photos should be easy, but that wasn't the case. Took longer than I would have expected.

I suspect that a lot of 19th century photos of the government may have gotten destroyed over time. Fires and that lot at archives and such and improper storage, which is a shame to lose such valuable pieces of photographic history.

The older photos presented here display damage and wear and tear. I suspect there could be more, hidden away in archives, people's attics or private collections. And haven't been digitized yet for all our viewing pleasure. The following photos I found here:

they went from no flags to flags everywhere lol

ScottFreeman

Reactions
Just wasted a bunch of time searching for photographs related to the inaugurations of...

William Harrison 1841
John Tyler 1841
James Polk 1845
Zachary Taylor 1849
Millard Fillmore 1850
Franklin Pierce 1853
James Buchanan 1857

Nothing but drawings. But even the drawings don't have flags
What if the stories of our founding, between 1776 and 1860 were falsified? The mind reels...
Here is my theory on this issue. The photographs would show people of color as equal members of the society.

Of course there could be another reason where some technological devices which were not supposed to exist would be present, but this one I doubt more.

Edit: Additionally may be some insignia, or unwanted memorabilia type stuff like Flags and what not.
maybe this ties into our missing US Flag of Peacetime that was supposed to have flown over polling places and post offices prior to the civil war.

See: The United States Civil Flag of Peacetime and Fix America: The United States Civil Flag of Peacetime

in addition to the other versions listed there. If these flags were in pictures people might start to wonder.

Or, this whole bit may be disinformation, along with the it's description in the preamble of The Scartlet Letter. Here's a quote from Fred Mars:

"Before 1940, few U.S. flags flew within the forty-eight states except in federal or Military settings and installations. Only state flags did. Since the 1935 institution of Social Security and the Buck Act of 1940, 4 U.S.C.S. Ch. 4 Sec. 104-113, by clever legal maneuvers the federal authorities have entirely circumvented the U.S. Constitution, and have overlaid federal territorial jurisdiction on the sovereign States, bringing them under the admiralty/military jurisdiction of Law Merchant, the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), the law of Creditors and Debtors.

Since then the U.S. military flag, a different hoist to fly ratio, appears beside, or in place of, the state flags in nearly all locations within the states. All of the state courts and even the municipal ones now openly display it. In the last half century Federal Government has more openly declared the military/admiralty law jurisdiction with the addition of the gold fringe to the flag, the military flag of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. "

Oh my, I just considered something. If Red/White were the colors of Tartary, then could our original flag have been visually appropriate? 13 stars/elite bloodlines from over the ocean (field of blue) on top of/overlaid upon a field of red/white meaning Tartary itself?

What if World War II was just a revival of the Tartarian principles under Hitler, and the other small countries?

Last edited: