19th Century Haussmann's Paris

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
We have a new household name to investigate: Georges-Eugène Haussmann.
  • Georges-Eugène Haussmann, commonly known as Baron Haussmann, was a prefect of the Seine Department of France chosen by Emperor Napoleon III to carry out a massive urban renewal program of new boulevards, parks and public works in Paris commonly referred to as Haussmann's renovation of Paris. Critics forced his resignation for extravagance, but his vision of the city still dominates central Paris.
Haussmann's renovation of Paris was a vast public works program executed between 1853 and 1870. It included the demolition of medieval neighborhoods that were deemed overcrowded and unhealthy by officials at the time; the building of wide avenues; new parks and squares; the annexation of the suburbs surrounding Paris; and the construction of new sewers, fountains and aqueducts. Haussmann's work was met with fierce opposition, and he was finally dismissed by Napoleon III in 1870; but work on his projects continued until 1927. The street plan and distinctive appearance of the center of Paris today is largely the result of Haussmann's renovation.

Renovation Results
...some of them...
Haussmann_2.jpg

Haussmann_4.jpg

Haussmann_6.jpg

Cross section of a typical Haussmann period boulevard in Paris
(19th Century engraving by Louis Poyet).
kd_separator.jpg

KD: Very interesting achievements for the time period, me thinks.

EUAFU

Reactions
The mainstream says that the reformulation of Paris was due to the Paris Commune revolt. They wanted wide avenues to prevent rioters from creating barricades and taking advantage of the police / army. I don't know if that makes sense. I wonder, do they have all those tunnels yet?