1929 Rospigliosi Castle in Lima: Construction

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I'm offering our forum members to see if we could answer three simple questions pertaining to the Rospigliosi Castle. It was built in Lima, Peru in 1929. At least the narrative says it was built in 1929. Here are the questions:
  • Where are the construction photos?
  • When did the construction start?
  • Who was the architect, and what was his educational background?
NOTE: Apologies for the weirdly sounding text below. I used Google Translate to convert from Spanish. English language info was not adequate enough.

Rospigliosi_Castle_in_Lima.jpg

The Rospigliosi Castle is a small castle located in Lima, Peru . It was built in 1929 by Carlos Rospigliosi Vigil. The legend says that he wanted to finish the castle just in time for the visit of the Spanish King Alfonso XIII to be able to live there. The castle never welcomed the king of Spain. Rospigliosi actively participated in the construction of the castle. He introduced furniture brought from Europe and from workshops in Lima.

The castle was used by the Rospigliosi family, until the son of Carlos Rospigliosi, Carlos Augusto Rospigliosi-Vigil, lost the castle because it was expropriated by the State through negotiations with his uncle Augusto Pérez Araníbar . Since 1949 it was gifted to the Air Force of Peru, as the initial headquarters of the Air War Academy. It is currently the headquarters of the Peruvian Aeronautical Museum since May 23, 2014. It exhibits, preserves, and centralizes the relics, replicas, photographs, documents and materials that promote the National and World Aeronautical History to conserve the Historical Heritage, the Traditions and the Culture of the Aeronautics of Peru.

Carlos Rospigliosi Vigil
Carlos_Rospigliosi.jpg

1879-1938

Carlos attended primary school at the Colegio de la O, and then, the secondary one in the School of the Immaculate one (1889 - 1893) and the Liceo the International. He continued his higher studies at the University of San Marcos (1896), where he opted for Bachelor degrees (1902) and Doctor of Natural Sciences (1904), in addition to the Bachelor of Medicine degree (1902), then receiving Surgeon (1904). In the same 1904 he joined the military in the rank of lieutenant, being later promoted to captain (1905) and commissioner to study the organization of the service in the USA and Europe. Upon his return, he was promoted successively to sergeant major (1909), lieutenant colonel (1912) and colonel (1925). Appointed director of the Military Hospital (1920), he traveled again to Europe to establish a relationship with scientific circles (1922).

As deputy, he held the chair of General Chemistry (1913), and then Zoology (1914), first as an interim and then as a professor, at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of San Marcos . He organized the cabinet of Natural History (1915), which would provide the basis for the founding of the Museum of Natural History (1918), and whose collections he enriched through several expeditions to the interior of the country. Later he assumed the dean of the Faculty of Sciences (1930), was entrusted with the presidency of the Board of Administration of the University (1932 - 1935) after the recess decreed by President Sanchez Cerro.
  • In other words, our Carlos, most likely, was not the architect of this castle.
Rospigliosi_Castle_in_Lima_1.jpg

The Rospigliosi Castle combines many different styles. Externally, it resembles a medieval castle, but with additions in the form of battlements, turrets and windows with pointed arches. Then it’s a mix of defenses and dream castle. Striking is the color scheme of the Rospigliosi castle. The brick facade is painted beige, the friezes and cornices are light blue. Therefore, the floors and other architectural elements clearly differ from each other.

Inside, which was decorated mainly in Baroque style, the cream-colored walls prevail, the door and window frames, the railings and the wall panels are made of dark wood. The coffered ceilings are designed with the same colors. Other ceilings are decorated with stucco and painted with ornaments. The large windows of colors allow the rooms of the two lower floors to shine with warm light.

Some of the furniture comes from the doctor’s trips to Europe, others were made in workshops in Lima. Everywhere you can see great care and craftsmanship. It is also worth seeing the bathroom: the bathtub and the washbasin are decorated with a marble sink, so the faucets are faces of mythical creatures.
kd_separator.jpg

KD: So, there we have it. Built in 1929, well into the age of photography and information. Shouldn't be too hard, right? May be in Spanish internet segment?
Sources:

Jim Duyer

Reactions
I'm offering our forum members to see if we could answer three simple questions pertaining to the Rospigliosi Castle. It was built in Lima, Peru in 1929. At least the narrative says it was built in 1929. Here are the questions:
NOTE: Apologies for the weirdly sounding text below. I used Google Translate to convert from Spanish. English language info was not adequate enough.

The Rospigliosi Castle is a small castle located in Lima, Peru . It was built in 1929 by Carlos Rospigliosi Vigil. The legend says that he wanted to finish the castle just in time for the visit of the Spanish King Alfonso XIII to be able to live there. The castle never welcomed the king of Spain. Rospigliosi actively participated in the construction of the castle. He introduced furniture brought from Europe and from workshops in Lima.

The castle was used by the Rospigliosi family, until the son of Carlos Rospigliosi, Carlos Augusto Rospigliosi-Vigil, lost the castle because it was expropriated by the State through negotiations with his uncle Augusto Pérez Araníbar . Since 1949 it was gifted to the Air Force of Peru, as the initial headquarters of the Air War Academy. It is currently the headquarters of the Peruvian Aeronautical Museum since May 23, 2014. It exhibits, preserves, and centralizes the relics, replicas, photographs, documents and materials that promote the National and World Aeronautical History to conserve the Historical Heritage, the Traditions and the Culture of the Aeronautics of Peru.

Carlos Rospigliosi Vigil
View attachment 21985
1879-1938

Carlos attended primary school at the Colegio de la O, and then, the secondary one in the School of the Immaculate one (1889 - 1893) and the Liceo the International. He continued his higher studies at the University of San Marcos (1896), where he opted for Bachelor degrees (1902) and Doctor of Natural Sciences (1904), in addition to the Bachelor of Medicine degree (1902), then receiving Surgeon (1904). In the same 1904 he joined the military in the rank of lieutenant, being later promoted to captain (1905) and commissioner to study the organization of the service in the USA and Europe. Upon his return, he was promoted successively to sergeant major (1909), lieutenant colonel (1912) and colonel (1925). Appointed director of the Military Hospital (1920), he traveled again to Europe to establish a relationship with scientific circles (1922).

As deputy, he held the chair of General Chemistry (1913), and then Zoology (1914), first as an interim and then as a professor, at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of San Marcos . He organized the cabinet of Natural History (1915), which would provide the basis for the founding of the Museum of Natural History (1918), and whose collections he enriched through several expeditions to the interior of the country. Later he assumed the dean of the Faculty of Sciences (1930), was entrusted with the presidency of the Board of Administration of the University (1932 - 1935) after the recess decreed by President Sanchez Cerro.
  • In other words, our Carlos, most likely, was not the architect of this castle.

The Rospigliosi Castle combines many different styles. Externally, it resembles a medieval castle, but with additions in the form of battlements, turrets and windows with pointed arches. Then it’s a mix of defenses and dream castle. Striking is the color scheme of the Rospigliosi castle. The brick facade is painted beige, the friezes and cornices are light blue. Therefore, the floors and other architectural elements clearly differ from each other.

Inside, which was decorated mainly in Baroque style, the cream-colored walls prevail, the door and window frames, the railings and the wall panels are made of dark wood. The coffered ceilings are designed with the same colors. Other ceilings are decorated with stucco and painted with ornaments. The large windows of colors allow the rooms of the two lower floors to shine with warm light.

Some of the furniture comes from the doctor’s trips to Europe, others were made in workshops in Lima. Everywhere you can see great care and craftsmanship. It is also worth seeing the bathroom: the bathtub and the washbasin are decorated with a marble sink, so the faucets are faces of mythical creatures.
KD: So, there we have it. Built in 1929, well into the age of photography and information. Shouldn't be too hard, right? May be in Spanish internet segment?
Sources:
Well, I am fluent in Spanish and English, so it was not much of a problem to dig into this a bit.
The first thing we find is a comment by Angie Saravia Gigante, from Lima, Peru, who tells us that
El castillo Rospigliosi, es una castillo miniatura basado en los planos de un castillo Europeo
or "the Rospiglioi Castle is a miniature castle based upon the plans of a castle in Europe.

I'll skip the translating and get right to the point. Dr. Carlos J. Rospigliosi Vigil was a Medical doctor and also a scientific investigator into specific medical problems. He was called original, eccentric, and a millionare. He had visited King Alfonso XIII of Spain while on a trip to Europe in 1922, and they became friends, based upon their mutual likes for scientific investigation. He decided to build this miniature version for the upcoming visit to Peru of King Alfonso. The local architects refused to sign off on the project, calling it a "whim", and gave him trouble with the local municipality as well, probably because they did not get their "usual fees" for the design. Rospigliosi brought the plans back with him, and oversaw each step of the construction. He did use the local carpenters. He even fought the city government over a well that was on the property, but managed to obtain permission to build eventually.
HERE IS THE MAINSTREAM COVER STORY:
The Rospigliosi family, originally from Milan, Italy, has been part of the nobility of Italy since the 1200s AD. Two reasons for the Dr. to have moved to Lima: 1) one of his ancestors was a very famous Rospigliosi, whom we know of as Pope Clement IX. 2) Pope Clement confirmed the saintly status of Rose of Lima on April 15, 1668. His mother's family (Vigil) was full of famous writers and artists, and especially painters. So, a millionare, with connections on his mothers side to the culture of Peru,. and on his fathers side to the Pope that recognized Saint Rose of Lima, and personal friends with the King of Spain, would not have a difficult time doing what he wanted. As for publishing the plans, that's the easiest way to have them copied and used by others, so it's fairly common to have them "disappear" from the city records for a price. Obtaining copies of plans in Italy from a relative of the Pope would not be a difficult task either, especially when he explained that he wished to build a castle for the visit of the King of Spain.

NOW HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL NOT NORMALLY BE ABLE TO LEARN:
While researching the families and connections of various early mapmakers from the 1400s, I ran across this name Giulio Rospigliosi, or Pole Clement IX. A great many of the supposed connections that are listed in genealogies simply do not exist or are obviously manufactured. My guess, based on an active "crap detector" is that he was the illegitimate son of another Pope, or perhaps one of the lovers of a Pope. But all of the records show a period of between about 1300 and 1500, including all of the relations and connections, that are very phony. I also suspect, from the rise in certain areas that is quite obvious, that there is a hidden connection to the Borgia family of Italy. You can read about those scoundrels and their ability to appoint Popes and Cardinals at their whim, on Google.
The whole family seemed to get rich for no apparent reason.

So, I hope that I have helped to answer some of your questions, and given you something to look into should you wish to unravel a mystery. Right now I have my hands full of unraveling others.
Jim

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Thank you for these important details @Jim Duyer. The connection with Pope Clement IX is definitely worth further research.

As far as the castle goes, miniature or not, for something built in 1929, one would expect to find some sort of photographic evidence of its construction. It's just bizarre not to see any.

Jim Duyer

Reactions
Thank you for these important details @Jim Duyer. The connection with Pope Clement IX is definitely worth further research.

As far as the castle goes, miniature or not, for something built in 1929, one would expect to find some sort of photographic evidence of its construction. It's just bizarre not to see any.
Yes. but then you have to understand the politics at play. When Latinos visit Spain, they are treated very badly - as bumpkins, sub-humans, or something that will arrive and never leave - even if they are there to attend a University or for Government reasons. I'm not trying to be crude here, but that is the reality that nearly anyone who lives in Latin countries will tell you. Perception is everything, and perhaps they are exaggerating to some extent, but then I have seen videos on local television that show a young Spanish student beating the crap out of a single girl on a train in Spain, supposedly just for being there.
Because an Italian (an even if you live there for many generations, an Italian is always an Italian, a Gringo is always a Gringo, etc.,) was friends with the King of Spain, and related to a former Pope, there would be quite a bit of jealousy going on. He was "untouchable" but certainly not without resentment. The news media is very much an organ of the politic in power, and has been for even longer than this began in the States. They report what is "approved". It does not matter which country, it's still slanted that way. So, calling it a "farce", refusing to put pictures in the media, and other actions are the outcome of childish Peruvians who probably did not get invited to attend the opening for the King. The fact that the Doctor was not very well connected in government is obvious by the problems he had in building the thing. Of course, his money helped to disappear the plans, but if he was in any serious way "connected", he would have had the local municipality leaders there with shovels helping him to dig the foundations, complete with photos. Good luck on your search in to the Pope's children and the Borgia influence - that's a rabbit hole that I did not need to go down in order to accomplish my research, thank the gods.

Red Bird

Reactions
Hope there’s nothing UNESCO wants, or he made the jesuits mad, then we’ll have a thread when it burns.

Jim Duyer

Reactions
Yes. but then you have to understand the politics at play. When Latinos visit Spain, they are treated very badly - as bumpkins, sub-humans, or something that will arrive and never leave - even if they are there to attend a University or for Government reasons. I'm not trying to be crude here, but that is the reality that nearly anyone who lives in Latin countries will tell you. Perception is everything, and perhaps they are exaggerating to some extent, but then I have seen videos on local television that show a young Spanish student beating the crap out of a single girl on a train in Spain, supposedly just for being there.
Because an Italian (an even if you live there for many generations, an Italian is always an Italian, a Gringo is always a Gringo, etc.,) was friends with the King of Spain, and related to a former Pope, there would be quite a bit of jealousy going on. He was "untouchable" but certainly not without resentment. The news media is very much an organ of the politic in power, and has been for even longer than this began in the States. They report what is "approved". It does not matter which country, it's still slanted that way. So, calling it a "farce", refusing to put pictures in the media, and other actions are the outcome of childish Peruvians who probably did not get invited to attend the opening for the King. The fact that the Doctor was not very well connected in government is obvious by the problems he had in building the thing. Of course, his money helped to disappear the plans, but if he was in any serious way "connected", he would have had the local municipality leaders there with shovels helping him to dig the foundations, complete with photos. Good luck on your search in to the Pope's children and the Borgia influence - that's a rabbit hole that I did not need to go down in order to accomplish my research, thank the gods.
I wanted to add an example. To get a new phone line put in, here in Costa Rica, one usually waits several months, or in some areas even years, to get the government owned phone company interested. Once I bought a large home - formerly the residence of the head Judge of the Supreme Court of the country. When I picked up the existing phone, his old one, to ask for an additional line, for purposes of a fax machine, I was told "Sir, we really can't get there today - (this was at 2:30 in the afternoon) but would tomorrow morning at 8 AM suit you, or would you need some emergency service this evening? That's a true story.
Post automatically merged:

Hope there’s nothing UNESCO wants, or he made the jesuits mad, then we’ll have a thread when it burns.
Yes, particularly since the current Pope is originally from Argentina, and a Jesuit himself. The Rockefeller's who started the Red Cross and were influential in the formation of the UN and UNESCO, have already taken everything that they wanted from Peru, back when David was in charge of the spy business there. He actually removed tons of elongated head mummies from the southern part of the country in Peru, and put one of them on display at Harvard. Oh, and did I mention, this mummy was later transported to the Mayo clinic for studies, since it had "GREEN" blood that astounded the group of scientists gathered for the unveiling. But no report of those tests have surfaced, oddly enough.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KorbenDallas Buildings and Structures 6