1916: Five-star US Flag, or what country is this?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
1916 US Flag
48_stars.gif

What country is this?

colorado_flag.jpeg
Suffragettes carrying a banner announcing that 'Women have full suffrage in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Idaho' at the Women of all Nations Parade in New York on May 3, 1916
Colorado Was the First State to Enfranchise Women Through Popular Referendum. Here's How It Happened

Flag of the Confederation of American States

US_flag_with_5_stars_by_Hellerick_1.jpg

• The First Southern Congress was carried out in Richmond, Virginia. The Congress made up of delagates of the southern slave holding states signed the Virginia Manifesto offically forming the states into a Confederated Republic focusing on states rights but will have the federal government intervine in case of violence. The flag was adopted from old American one. 13 stripes represented the nations that made up the former union and 5 Starts representing the 5 states of the Confederation. So in the winter of 1789 the Confederation of American States was declared with its federal capital in Richmond. Williamsburg would remain the capital of Virginia. Immediately the two American powers, the CAS and Pennsylvania were immediately competing. Pennsylvania however finally won out in the race for the Ohio. The border was set at the river. Throughout the 1790s saw the CAS ensure its dominance over its claimed territory. In 1794 after border incidents with American Indians the CAS sent in its marines to invade Spanish, Florida with the minor consent of the Spaniards. The colony was promptly annexed into the territories of Florida and South Alabama.
Source: Birth of the American Colossus - the contents of the above paragraph are supposed to be made up, but the flag ended up being real. Interesting.

KD: I’m not a fashion expert, but are they wearing clothes matching 1916 time frame?

Why do we keep on having this "weird flag" issue? Where is the US flag which is supposed to match the year of 1916? Why are we displaying 1789 flag in 1916?

BStankman

Reactions
Finally a mistake. It looks like they blacked out the wrong flag here.

1539723931603.png

I dont think the bowler hat was still in style in 1916. No photos of Woodrow Wilson in one.

1916 Eaton's men's hats.

1916-Eatons-men-hats-158-350x458.jpeg

Dated NY photo with hats.
1916 NY hell gate.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I'm not sure what it is yet, but there could be something strange there between 1900 and 1916-17.

This women suffrage has some weird slogans as they pertain to the US. They could vote where?

Suffragettes display banners at Washington Mews in Greenwich Village, New York City, circa 1912
suffrage_1.jpg

Then we have this May Day parade of 1909. What could this banner be saying above the cut out portion? and 1900? War Union of N.Y.?

may_day_parade_1909.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Yeah, this US Flag saga is becoming quite a saga. I would have never thought a few months back that it would be such a confusing issue.

In case the video gets deleted we will save the flag image :)

oval_us_flag.jpg

BStankman

Reactions
I get the feeling that suffrage and temperance are cover for public unrest.
A population that does not like the changes after the civil war.

A "temperance march". With paint over flags and faux signage.

9032c2868d066fee129a09bd263e0dbe.jpg

These definitely changed the US fundamentally.
The road to hell was paved with good intentions.

18th Prohibited the manufacturing or sale of alcohol within the United States.
19th Prohibits the denial of the right to vote based on sex.

whitewave

Reactions
1539975027262.png

Is that a crusader's shield/banner? Also looks like a knight's helmet next to the shield. Can't tell if it's on someone's head or just being held. What's that other flag with the bent-arm cross? The older lady in front is carrying a pennant but can't tell what colors or what organization it's supposed to represent. If the 5 star flag was supposed to represent the 5 states that gave women the vote, why are the women carrying a banner that only lists 4 states? Can anyone make out what the middle sign says? Letters are deliberately obscured it looks like.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Definitely the flags worth paying attention to. Obviously we have the same image with flag re-adjusted for stars/stripes. Stripes and layouts are definitely of interest.

7-star flag?
7-star_US_Flag.jpg

And here we have another issue. 1861, and 1862... why are these not photographs? The most important events of the mid-19th century are represented by sketches only. This is a huge problem if you think of it. The source page for the above is interesting to say the least. Photographs for buildings + etc., sketches for questionable events.

BStankman

Reactions
John Trumbull, Death of General Mercer at Princeton.
Looking at the flags.

Finished version.
The_Death_of_General_Mercer_at_the_Battle_of_Princeton_January_3_1777.jpeg
Unfinished version.
John-Trumbull-The-Death-of-General-Mercer-at-the-Battle-of-Princeton-unfinished-version-.JPG

Also a dark skinned person was removed.

Last edited:

anotherlayer

Reactions
John Trumbull, Death of General Mercer at Princeton.
Looking at the flags.

Finished version.
View attachment 10972
Unfinished version.
View attachment 10973

Also a dark skinned person was removed.
i don't understand anything in this painting. what fantasy world is this? why is the blue jacket dude getting shivved (up against a sweet brass cannon) while a bunch of George Washingtons in blue jackets are just hanging out on their horses? and did they send the drummer boy to the front line first? and who made those beautiful home and away uniforms? really creative, really captures the balance the military endures to roll around in the mud with swords like savages, but yet carry the aristocratic pomp and circumstance... for the effect.

i kinda wanna live in this world.

BStankman

Reactions
i don't understand anything in this painting. what fantasy world is this? why is the blue jacket dude getting shivved (up against a sweet brass cannon) while a bunch of George Washingtons in blue jackets are just hanging out on their horses? and did they send the drummer boy to the front line first? and who made those beautiful home and away uniforms? really creative, really captures the balance the military endures to roll around in the mud with swords like savages, but yet carry the aristocratic pomp and circumstance... for the effect.

i kinda wanna live in this world.
The horrors of war, right?

At the Battle of Bunker hill, there isn't a US flag present.
bunkerhill.jpg the-death-of-general-warren-at-the-battle-of-bunker-hill-17th-june-1775-john-trumbull.jpg
Just the Maine flag or possibly Lebanon.

lebanon.jpg

Again with the Moor angle. Who is this couple?
Most online images try to edit the one with the musket out.

John_Trumbull-6c.jpg foe_trumbull_lieutenant-thomas-grosvenor_0.jpg

Lieutenant Thomas Grosvenor and His Negro Servant, is a detail oil sketch from the picture of the Death of General Warren at the Battle of Bunker Hill by John Trumbull

Glumlit

Reactions
The horrors of war, right?

At the Battle of Bunker hill, there isn't a US flag present.
Just the Maine flag or possibly Lebanon.

Again with the Moor angle. Who is this couple?
Most online images try to edit the one with the musket out.

Lieutenant Thomas Grosvenor and His Negro Servant, is a detail oil sketch from the picture of the Death of General Warren at the Battle of Bunker Hill by John Trumbull
You made me want to start looking thru my stamp collection..

This one was right on top.
IMG_20181112_101640.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on in this picture?

Looks more to me like a human with a black face rode in to massacre a polo game with a street light in the smoked out background.

And to tie it in to this thread, I searched for more images of the Battle of Cowpens and this one was right on top.
battle-of-cowpens-1781-granger.jpg

Cool flag, bro