1908 machine used in Gary W. Va. mine - what is it?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I'm trying to figure out who built this machine and when it was actually done. Looks kinda too cool for 1908 IMHO. I'm probably looking it up all wrong but I can't find any info.

Official description, "Machine used in Gary W. Va. mine that digs the coal and loads it on the car. With it 3 men can do the work of 50 in the old way. Yet they use boys to drive and trap. "

1908_tractor.jpg

Does it look normal to you for 1908? How was it powered in your opinion?

PrincepAugus

I'm trying to figure out who built this machine and when it was actually done. Looks kinda too cool for 1908 IMHO. I'm probably looking it up all wrong but I can't find any info.

Official description, "Machine used in Gary W. Va. mine that digs the coal and loads it on the car. With it 3 men can do the work of 50 in the old way. Yet they use boys to drive and trap. "
That irks me. Telling me that this advanced machine helped make mining a lot easier, yet they are still using boy labor? This shows me that it was an advanced tech that was found and then tried to utilize to the best of it's ability with us lowly humans who found it.

As for what powers it, those advanced steam engines? Electricity?

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
This little thing looks so out of place in its time. I still wonder if we could locate at least an appointed designer of this machine.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I just don't see how we can not find any specs on this piece of machinery used in 1908. Are we not looking good enough?

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I’d go with B.

“A” does not sound feasible. It’s like us losing all the docs on the Apollo missions.

Magnus

You assume the photo is actually from 1908. What if it is an image originally taken 300 years ago from today, but "dated" 1908 at some point between then and today.
In other words, "dated" could mean "assigned a date"

Perhaps the machine was originally built by a nation which was defeated or captured, and the victorious nation could not operate it... so they modified the operating system to include those wires so they could actually operate the thing.

Honestly, in this day and age, that could be a photo realistic painting of a steampunk fantasy, there are artists worldwide who could have created that as piece of art, mimicking an agéd photograph.

It could be also a digital art creation, perhaps taking a photo of a modern piece of equipment, and totally modifying it to appear as an out of time machinery as a sort of edgy project for a Masters degree final project

In this day and age, with technology, I believe very little of what we see as recorded images and films can be trusted

Why not? They buy the official 9-11 story. We're a pretty gullible species.

Also, I agree with Magnus somewhat in that all source material is suspect but Korben brings up a good point in that we can only use what we have. With the technology available today we can be made to believe we're seeing live footage of a moon landing, photos can be made to look older or newer, fossils can be manufactured in one day.

I've been on other sites where people argued about the fake MSM news and then use MSM news articles to prove their point. Generally speaking, I don't think our capacity for critical analysis or logical thinking is finely honed. Still, the people manufacturing all the suspect "evidence" do, at times, slip up and miss things. We just have to be sharp and aware. Something I always ask myself when hearing a news report or watching television (they don't call it "programming" for nothing) is "Who benefits if I believe this"?

I don't think our capacity for critical analysis or logical thinking is finely honed.
it was removed from our chemical makeup (i dunno, DNA). i think it's actually a side effect to precisely what was cut out of our programming and that is empathy. we have all the traits of our creators except empathy. not a lot of love in this world and it's by design. we wouldn't slave each other to death if we had any sort of empathy.

After The Flood man himself was changed and no longer had long lifespans (limited to 120 years) but knowledge was always retained by a special class of people. This seems to be a historical pattern throughout the ages with all the various cataclysms we've experienced. Who were the keepers of knowledge that built the marvelous megaliths, out-of-place/time artifacts, tools, boring machines? Julius Caesar specifically hunted down all the Druids and killed them because he said they were the only ones that were a threat to him. I always picture Druids as some Gandolf the Grey types wandering around in woods studying plant life. But if Julius Caesar, head of the most powerful army in the world at the time, considered them his only real threat, what did they know? Where did this technology come from? How long has it been around? Where did it go?

I've said that exact same thing to my friends when we have these kinds of conversations and they always chuckle nervously until I ask them how many of us would know how to turn the lights back on if we had a global cataclysm. I'm a prepper and they always tell me if anything happens they're coming to my house. I encourage people to learn as much as they can even if they don't think they'll ever need the knowledge. In a post-apocalyptic situation you can be robbed of everything you own except your knowledge and experience. That's what needs to be passed down to our kids, not possessions.
It's never been survival-of-the-fittest; it's always been survival of the most ruthless. I wonder if the have-nots of our not too distant past decided to just take from the privileged class but couldn't take the accompanying knowledge and so wound up with tools and equipment whose working principles they didn't understand and architecture they couldn't replicate or explain so had to destroy?
With the advent of the internet we can all be the "priestly" class/keepers of knowledge. I think we probably know more but understand less.

ISeenItFirst

Why not? They buy the official 9-11 story. We're a pretty gullible species.

Also, I agree with Magnus somewhat in that all source material is suspect but Korben brings up a good point in that we can only use what we have. With the technology available today we can be made to believe we're seeing live footage of a moon landing, photos can be made to look older or newer, fossils can be manufactured in one day.

I've been on other sites where people argued about the fake MSM news and then use MSM news articles to prove their point. Generally speaking, I don't think our capacity for critical analysis or logical thinking is finely honed. Still, the people manufacturing all the suspect "evidence" do, at times, slip up and miss things. We just have to be sharp and aware. Something I always ask myself when hearing a news report or watching television (they don't call it "programming" for nothing) is "Who benefits if I believe this"?
I was at a table with 10 other people who all told me they built a 57 story building in Spain and forgot put in an elevator. I was an idiot for not believing what each of them clearly pulled up on yahoo news on their phone.

I explained that the elevator shaft is where the crane goes, that materials and equipment need an elevator, and on and on and on. No one could possibly believe I was right and yahoo was wrong.

I eventually found a Spanish article about the local news article which had been mistranslated, and subsequently went viral. It was an eye opener for me.

Not only will people deny anything that remotely effects their belief system, they will add anything "official" to that belief system without question.