1907 Exaggeration Postcards

Ice Nine

Reactions
Great topic. you'll like this. By the way the mules are done really well. Pretty good job pn all of them actually.

You'll like this one! the-sordid-history-of-image-manipulation

This portrait of Lincoln (arguably the most iconic Abraham Lincoln image we have) isn’t even Abraham Lincoln. It’s just his head, placed on Southern politician John Calhoun’s body. Apparently he didn’t have any “heroic” looking pictures, so they just stuck his head on Calhoun’s body, who, ironically was an ardent supporter of things Lincoln was ardently opposed to
chasejarvis_photoshop8-620x413.jpg

milhaus

Reactions
Very cool. Here are some (more) historical photos that are admitted edits.

Kent State Massacre
The 1970 Kent State massacre made international news. This photo was the iconic moment of that tragedy, appearing in many publications and winning a Pulitzer Prize. There was originally a fencepost behind Mary Ann Vecchios head as she grieved over one of the four demonstrators killed by National Guard troops, it was removed and the rest is history.

Fidel Castro
Fidel Castro (r.) approved a Soviet intervention in Czechoslovakia in the summer of 1968 causing Carlos Franqui (bottom c.) to split with Castro's regime. Castro then decided to split with any images including Franqui.

Russian Premier Josef Stalin
Photo-editing wasn't just limited to glorifying or adding to actual history, it has also been used to erase history as well. Russian Premier Josef Stalin was notorious for airbrushing people out of pictures when he no longer had use for them. In this example from 1930, a commissar is out of sight soon after being out of Stalin's mind.

Cottingley Fairies
Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths wanted to make fantasy a reality in 1917. The two cousins insisted their photos showed small winged fairies. The fairy photos were hyped up by the media, though the public later found out that they were merely cardboard cutouts staged in the photographs. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was sold and even used the photo with an article about fairies in Strand Magazine in 1920.

Russian Cosmonauts
The first humans to go into space were a team of Russian Cosmonauts in 1961. They originally were to be a nine person team that was reduced to eight after Grigoriy Nelyubov was removed from both the squad and their photo for what was termed misbehavior. The original photograph, bottom, shows all 9 Russian Cosmonauts who went into space in April 1961.

Adolf Hitler
Taking cues from other famous despots, German Fuhrer Adolf Hitler made propaganda whiz Joseph Goebbels disappear from this 1937 photo. Goebbels would remain Hitler's most trusted advisor until they both committed suicide in the last days of World War II. The bottom photo shows Joseph Goebbels in the original photo on the right.

German Chancellor of West Germany, Willy Brandt
German Chancellor of West Germany, Willy Brandt met with Leonid Brezhnev, the First Secretary of the Commuist Party for drinks and smokes, which the original photo (bottom) portrays. When this image ran in the German press, the bottles and cigarettes were removed (top).

Mao Tse-tung
Mao Tse-tung was equally vindictive once people proved to no longer be useful to his Communist regime in China. Po-Ku, once a trusted ally, was airbrushed out of this early photo of the Chinese leader in 1936.

General Ulysses S. Grant
If awards were handed out for the most creative example of pre-digital photo editing, this iconic photo of General Ulysses S. Grant would take top prize. Three photos were combined to show what looks like Grant in front of his troops at City Point, Virginia. Grant's head was first planted atop a picture of General Alexander M. Cook on a horse and then superimposed over a picture of Confederate prisons held captive at Fisher's Hill, Virginia after losing to Union troops.

1960 Olympic US Hockey Team
When the US Hockey team won its first Olympic Gold Medal in 1960 the team portrait was missing a few key players. Bill and Bob Cleary and John Maysich were later added to the bodies of Bob Dupuis, Larry Alm and future U.S. team coach Herb Brooks in a rather amateur example of photo altering. Though Brooks was erased from this photo, his 1980 team's Gold Medal-winning victory over the Soviet Union at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics forever etched him into the history books.

Benito Mussolini
Benito Mussolini didn't want to look like he needed help atop a horse as he triumphantly raised a sword in the air, he had the horse handler removed from this 1942 photo (bottom).

Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie with Queen Elizabeth
Not all people were removed to erase history, as shown in this doctored photo of Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie with Queen Elizabeth from 1939. While running for re-election, Mackenzie must have thought he would be more electable if King George VI was removed from this picture when it was used for an election poster.

General Sherman and his Generals
Though General Francis P. Blair was absent when a portrait of General Sherman was taken with his generals, Blair was later added to this picture from 1865. Blair is sitting on the far right.

Reichstag 1945, one of the watches was removed from the Soviet soldier because there was fear looting had occured. Or do you think it is because two watches symbolizes something?

Original.​

In school, they taught us about some of the photo editing like the one with Stalin. This was presented as communist propaganda leading us to believe that communist countries lie because they need to in order to maintain control and a free country does not need to resort to such tactics. However, they also admit that allied countries did use it but it was for trivial things like editing out a cigar.

456229BF00000578-4984364-image-a-48_1508145249709.jpg456229C600000578-4984364-image-m-47_1508145240019.jpg

They also taught us about the Kent state photo. I remember asking a teacher why they removed the post and was told that it didn't look right and I said, "but why? That is the photo the photographer took." And my teacher just gave me that look that teachers give where they scrunch up their face when you've asked too much and shrugged.

Now, what I find interesting about the exaggeration cards is how well done they are for 1907.

Here is another interesting story relating to these postcards that I came across - This one from 1937
The grandson of this man commented on this post -
I'd be happy to pass along the story. @benshap is pretty close. Grandpa Nass was out shooting prairie dogs/gophers near miles city. Along came a truck loaded with a photographer traveling cross country and asked Mr. Nass to "hold out his left hand like so and his right hand and rifle just the same". A few exposures were taken and the photographer (presuming to be associated with Cole studio) said "thanks, appreciate your time!" and kept driving along. Grandpa Nass was a little unsure of what had taken place but carried on. A few months later the "doctored" photo appeared in some tabloid literature. Postcards primarily that poked fun at country types. At one time the media gave the photo a run with the story involving an Australian being the one posing with a trophy "hopper". An original photo held within the family coming soon!! @
Then Ben remarks, "Wow.. surprising manipulations were only a few months later"

That does seem like a fast turnaround but I don't know enough about the copy and paste process to have an opinion.
The other effect of showing us these altered images, like when a person is removed, is that we are then supposed to assume that the rest of the photo is legitimate. That the whole thing isn't a fabrication even though a lot of these photographs do not look right, either before or after. Not to mention the fact they wanted people to believe in the fairy photo hoax for gaslighting purposes.

Nowadays we are accustomed to Photoshop being used all the time, but mostly for "trivial" things like giving people a false perceptions

Everything on TV uses fakery like green or blue screens and cgi. As well as movies. But that technology would never be used in news, politics, or any legitimately real media.
Along with deepfakes and AI generated audio, which is just an emerging technology and hasn't been used in the past and is not being used currently for anything important. Don't worry, it is only these small teams and university students experimenting with technology. No, this is all just for making memes! Just like the postcards.

Searching

Reactions
The most famous concentration camp picture was also falsified.
The first picture is what originally ran in the news papers. The second image with the standing starving man is the one we know, but that man was added later. The men in the bunks don't look right to me either, but the standing guy is all they fess up to.

The first picture are 2 Germans happily holding geese. In the 2nd edited picture, they look like heartless maniacs who have hanged a woman and stolen her geese. I notice the outline of the 2 soldiers in the falsified pic looks like so many other pictures we are supposed to believe have not been edited.

There are more of these disturbing edited photos here: What are some of the most popular faked images of World War II? - Quora

Here are other falsified historical photos that are interesting:
Famous Fakes - 10 Celebrated Wartime Photos That Were Staged, Altered or Fabricated - MilitaryHistoryNow.com

There is no history. There is only propaganda.

milhaus

Reactions
The most famous concentration camp picture was also falsified.
The first picture is what originally ran in the news papers. The second image with the standing starving man is the one we know, but that man was added later. The men in the bunks don't look right to me either, but the standing guy is all they fess up to.

The first picture are 2 Germans happily holding geese. In the 2nd edited picture, they look like heartless maniacs who have hanged a woman and stolen her geese. I notice the outline of the 2 soldiers in the falsified pic looks like so many other pictures we are supposed to believe have not been edited.

There are more of these disturbing edited photos here: What are some of the most popular faked images of World War II? - Quora

Here are other falsified historical photos that are interesting:
Famous Fakes - 10 Celebrated Wartime Photos That Were Staged, Altered or Fabricated - MilitaryHistoryNow.com

There is no history. There is only propaganda.
Great links.

Faked images were created on both sides, however, many of the fakes created by the Germans were destroyed by the victors of the war.
I would love to see those.

By the way, what you say about there only being propaganda is spot on. When an event happens today, a lot of us can look at it and see and say it is fake or staged and try to point it out to people around us, but go look at a current school textbook and you will see that new history has already been written. When everything around us is manipulated, faked, staged, or edited, and then written down as fact, that's it. They can tell you the truth years later on some blog or the daily mail, and it doesn't always take decades for the truth to come out for some of these; primarily when they are caught by creating a sloppy copy, but the initial image is already burned into people's minds and served its purpose and most will never see the correction..
"The soviets had to fake this holocaust picture because it would have been too difficult to take a real picture". Okay, or, you know, don't fake it at all.

It is extremely difficult and time consuming to get the horses around us even near the water, let alone an entire generation currently being indoctrinated. This applies to the past generations as well. When we have looked at old newspaper articles and found that they operated in the same manner as today. Then details get added and removed over time or the entire story is buried.

In one of your links they mention North Korea which is an excellent current example of a scapegoat. Something for us to mock and laugh at.
We hear of the things the people there are told and the things they believe like impossible feats of dear leader as well as the blatant photo and video fakes including their technological and military capabilities. Outsiders learning about that lunacy will think that everyone there must believe it because propaganda is so powerful and yet, it is never used on us. At least not by our own Govt, unless it is positive like buying war bonds and making sure you aren't giving Hitler a ride to work.

Other countries may try to use propaganda on us but we catch them doing it and we know this because the news tells us so.

We are always taught to point at others and not look at ourselves and from my understanding, the rest of the world's news is fairly USA-centric which allows people of other countries to laugh at us for the things our Govt, intelligence agencies, and corporations do at home and abroad, and our healthcare system, our own health as a matter of fact, and whatever else us dumb Americans are up to while they are consuming the lies that go along with those stories themselves.

Like I have said before, if I could talk to the future I would tell them that at least some of us knew and tried to make things right but most of the time we didn't even know where to start because everything preceding us was already falsified and the majority always seem to go along with the mainstream narrative. Divides are intentionally created between generations to further alienate us from the past, school books are constantly being revised or rewritten, and concepts like common core were introduced so the parents couldn't even help their children with their homework. Meanwhile, most people are barely scraping by, trying to just not be miserable, and dealing with problems created by the system to feed and grow the system.

Given the things people here have uncovered, isn't it interesting how these postcards primarily deal with oversized animals, insects, objects and food? But all the people, as far as I have seen, are always normal height.
Like this person said "Postcards primarily that poked fun at country types. At one time the media gave the photo a run with the story involving an Australian being the one posing with a trophy "hopper"." Is the joke that people out in the country would claim to see, stumble across, or dig up abnormally large things?

Make a joke out of whatever you want to shame people from believing. Make a joke to have them start believing something else.

whitewave

Reactions
Humor is an effective tool of change. The sitcoms of my youth (All in the Family, Barney Miller, etc.) made jokes about homosexuality (which was not at all socially accepted at the time), drug culture, criminal justice system, etc. and today every one of those topics (and more) have had a complete reversal in public opinion. I've watched the changes over the years and been aware of them as they're happening; Simpsons, Married with Children, et al idealizing mediocrity and complacency, "Valley Girls" idealizing shallowness, etc. All these things were "funny" at the time they came out but now they're daily reality and the humor has dried up.

The new "shock values" being introduced are things like shows hinting at beastiality, pedophilia, murder. I shudder to think what the next generation will be like.

In the Victorian 1900's and the early days of photography, I suppose they had to start off changing public opinion in a less blatant and shocking way like with the exaggeration postcards which seem harmless-like a tall tale you recite around campfires. As wowed and enamored as I am of technology and gadgets in general, I always look at the new stuff with an eye towards seeing how it could (and probably will) be used against us. It starts with something innocuous like exaggeration postcards and advances to AI generated CGI that totally fools us all and obfuscates reality.

Verity

Reactions
I'm reminded of the films 'Wag the Dog' and 'The Wizard of Oz' (again), "magicians" who manipulate imagery/reality.
The people behind the media have been at this for over a hundred years, and have perfected both knowledge of our psyche/imaginations, and technical prowess using their most valuable tool.

(Meaning media.)
54268203_10156995103367317_3749745142215475200_n.jpg

Searching

Reactions
General Ulysses S. Grant
If awards were handed out for the most creative example of pre-digital photo editing, this iconic photo of General Ulysses S. Grant would take top prize. Three photos were combined to show what looks like Grant in front of his troops at City Point, Virginia. Grant's head was first planted atop a picture of General Alexander M. Cook on a horse and then superimposed over a picture of Confederate prisons held captive at Fisher's Hill, Virginia after losing to Union troops.

Stumbled upon this video. At 3:38, it tells the same story of Grant's picture you do.

There was a guy named Dave J on youtube a couple of years ago. He explained how all the Civil War pictures were staged, faked, edited. He blew my mind. I began to look at "legitimate" Civil War photos from historical sites that ended in .gov. What I found was a "fuzziness" around the people that had been edited into the picture.

I then looked at photos for a hundred years after that. WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. All had that "fuzziness". At 5:20 in the above video, the "fuzziness" is pointed out, but it is especially apparent to me around the horse at 4:37.

Some pics can be found that I do not see evidence of tampering, but the most famous photos we have of historical events are con jobs.

MinLo66

Reactions
Great links.

I would love to see those.

By the way, what you say about there only being propaganda is spot on. When an event happens today, a lot of us can look at it and see and say it is fake or staged and try to point it out to people around us, but go look at a current school textbook and you will see that new history has already been written. When everything around us is manipulated, faked, staged, or edited, and then written down as fact, that's it. They can tell you the truth years later on some blog or the daily mail, and it doesn't always take decades for the truth to come out for some of these; primarily when they are caught by creating a sloppy copy, but the initial image is already burned into people's minds and served its purpose and most will never see the correction..
"The soviets had to fake this holocaust picture because it would have been too difficult to take a real picture". Okay, or, you know, don't fake it at all.

It is extremely difficult and time consuming to get the horses around us even near the water, let alone an entire generation currently being indoctrinated. This applies to the past generations as well. When we have looked at old newspaper articles and found that they operated in the same manner as today. Then details get added and removed over time or the entire story is buried.

In one of your links they mention North Korea which is an excellent current example of a scapegoat. Something for us to mock and laugh at.
We hear of the things the people there are told and the things they believe like impossible feats of dear leader as well as the blatant photo and video fakes including their technological and military capabilities. Outsiders learning about that lunacy will think that everyone there must believe it because propaganda is so powerful and yet, it is never used on us. At least not by our own Govt, unless it is positive like buying war bonds and making sure you aren't giving Hitler a ride to work.

Other countries may try to use propaganda on us but we catch them doing it and we know this because the news tells us so.

We are always taught to point at others and not look at ourselves and from my understanding, the rest of the world's news is fairly USA-centric which allows people of other countries to laugh at us for the things our Govt, intelligence agencies, and corporations do at home and abroad, and our healthcare system, our own health as a matter of fact, and whatever else us dumb Americans are up to while they are consuming the lies that go along with those stories themselves.

Like I have said before, if I could talk to the future I would tell them that at least some of us knew and tried to make things right but most of the time we didn't even know where to start because everything preceding us was already falsified and the majority always seem to go along with the mainstream narrative. Divides are intentionally created between generations to further alienate us from the past, school books are constantly being revised or rewritten, and concepts like common core were introduced so the parents couldn't even help their children with their homework. Meanwhile, most people are barely scraping by, trying to just not be miserable, and dealing with problems created by the system to feed and grow the system.

Given the things people here have uncovered, isn't it interesting how these postcards primarily deal with oversized animals, insects, objects and food? But all the people, as far as I have seen, are always normal height.
Like this person said "Postcards primarily that poked fun at country types. At one time the media gave the photo a run with the story involving an Australian being the one posing with a trophy "hopper"." Is the joke that people out in the country would claim to see, stumble across, or dig up abnormally large things?

Make a joke out of whatever you want to shame people from believing. Make a joke to have them start believing something else.
what you said, Milhaus. EXACTLY what you said...BRAVO.