1901: Pan Am Buffalo and why these Pan Ams were as insane as they look

jd755

Reactions
They are not removing the first tree they are planting it.
The big fruits are likely jackfruits or custard apples or some such and they are on display in those jars because they don't travel well, bruise and rot easily and are south american in origin.
The one with the half fruits in it look to be melons.
The fruit on the right appear to be all apple or tomato. Is/was missouri known as an apple/tomato growing state?
The 'fairy' statue looks completely out of place. If its really there my money is on it being papier mache on a chicken wire support construction.
The 'white workers photograph is a mixture of 'painted in people' (specifically the two blurry figures and whatever is between them) and real photograph).
The wooden beans sporting already cast? corintian style tops seem to have been made ready to receive their casting of whatever they are using lime mortar maybe. The square columns by comparison appear to brick built but the one in the left background shows wooden supports still in place which suggests they too were cast.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I am far from being convinced on us building this expo the way it is told in the history books.

We sure do have a lot of newspaper cutouts pertaining to 1901 PanAm Expo. At the same time newspapers back then were publishing some things which I consider to be a pure building indoctrination program.
Machinery Building plaster arches
Why do we have trees growing within the supposedly brand new construction? Could they be dismantling something old? What's the significance there? Well, if they did not build this specific building, they did not build the entire expo.

A bigger image can be seen within this post here, or at this link.

And in general, for something which was supposedly built in 1901, where is all the equipment which allegedly existed for approximately 50 years by then? We can see a horse, a rope, a shovel and a hammer.

Personally, I think we are far from figuring out this 1901 PanAm Expo.

Obviously buildings are not mushrooms, as in they do not grow on their own. The buildings were clearly there, which means they were built. The questions are when, by whom and how.

OP
anotherlayer

anotherlayer

Reactions
I am far from being convinced on us building this expo the way it is told in the history books.

We sure do have a lot of newspaper cutouts pertaining to 1901 PanAm Expo. At the same time newspapers back then were publishing some things which I consider to be a pure building indoctrination program.
Machinery Building plaster arches
Why do we have trees growing within the supposedly brand new construction? Could they be dismantling something old? What's the significance there? Well, if they did not build this specific building, they did not build the entire expo.

A bigger image can be seen within this post here, or at this link.
View attachment 17308

And in general, for something which was supposedly built in 1901, where is all the equipment which allegedly existed for approximately 50 years by then? We can see a horse, a rope, a shovel and a hammer.

Personally, I think we are far from figuring out this 1901 PanAm Expo.

Obviously buildings are not mushrooms, as in they do not grow on their own. The buildings were clearly there, which means they were built. The questions are when, by whom and how.
I'm pretty certain those trees are just the landscaping. The sooner you plant them, the better. You can see in the larger version that the trees are clearly behind (outside) this building. This is also great picture of the simple wooden lathe that is behind the plaster.

If these were repairs or deconstruction of some ancient building, you would have to explain what gives you that idea. Perhaps that they are chiseling those plaster panels off with hammers? In this photo you have people working. You have a pony. You have wooden lathe. You have other work going on in the background.

And if I were a foreman, I'd tell the photographer, you can come on site and take your stupid photos, but get in early and get out before the entire crew is here (sidenote, the photos of hundreds of workers and horses in one shot exist, I have held them in my hands).

That is a picture of them constructing a building out of wood and plaster. On ol' Rumsey farm. With all due respect, you guys know I am with you on all thoughts and conjecture but I think the Buffalo Pan-Am is what it is and we are barking up the wrong tree.

0harris0

Reactions
first off, i'm not saying all the exhibition buildings were steel, wood and plaster, but some of them definitely were. and I'm not trying to force any sort of belief of opinion, just giving you some real life evidence of how good our ancestors were with steel work!!!

I am simply offering an answer to your question of "how [can] 2x4+plaster walls can hold the weight of this building?". It's because the "fake" ones were built with wood and plaster facades over a steel frame, not simply an entire building held by 2x4 and plaster.

look at the indoors photographs of the exhibition halls and tell me there's no difference between the way they're built and the way my local train station was built.. check out Sutro baths too, same type of steel framework! ;)

that's just how the huge steel frames look, it's how it all works. the roofs in a lot of the exhibition halls are made the same. just cladded with very fancy looking facades.

fega72

Reactions
I am simply offering an answer to your question of "how [can] 2x4+plaster walls can hold the weight of this building?". It's because the "fake" ones were built with wood and plaster facades over a steel frame, not simply an entire building held by 2x4 and plaster.
Thanks!

Tyrion

Reactions
There is not much I can say that haven’t been said before here. But It is impossible for these expos to have been built in less than two years just for show and then demolished, even using the cheapest materials. It takes years to build a Disneyland and that is not nearly as impressive.