1893 Salt Lake Temple and its Mysteries

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Salt-lake-temple_details.jpg

Thanks to Rebel Without a Pause. This is one building I hadn't thought to take a look at, but there certainly are some very strange things going on here. Lots of lies, cover-ups, and bullshit history, as usual. Here is the Wiki article: Salt Lake Temple - Wikipedia. It's undeniably a gorgeous building, and if you didn't know what it was, you'd swear it was a European cathedral...which, in a sense, it is, because of course it's the same architecture that we can see all over the world. The middle, highest, tower is topped with a statue, while the two smaller towers have metal devices on them.The statue is meant to be the angel Moroni, but it could have originally been anybody, or was added in modern times.

If you scroll down to "Symbols," you'll see this image:

There's Moroni, the all-seeing eye, Earth, Saturn, clasped hands, square and compass....all Masonic symbols that probably go back to before the Freemasons even existed. Here, they've been re-interpreted to mean different things so that church members won't know what they are walking into.

If you look up images of the temple under construction, you won't find much. No surprise there.

Note that we see no pictures of the foundation work, only the upper towers with scaffolding. It's as if they removed some of the upper structure and rebuilt it, or are repairing damage to the towers. Whatever is going on here, it doesn't look like a ground-up construction job. And note that the Tabernacle dome, an enormous structure covering almost as much ground as the temple, is already in place. When was that built? Why is there a 30-foot metal rod on top of it?

17962 17963

The image on the left is supposed to be the foundation blocks for the temple, with workers...doing something with them? Is this how a construction site normally looks? I would think they'd carefully arrange the blocks in organized stacks according to size and purpose, not just dump them in a huge mess all over the ground. There aren't very many workers, and they don't appear to be working, just sort of milling around in all this broken rubble, posing for the camera. Who are these guys? On the right is what is supposed to be the quarry site where the granite was cut. How do we know? It could be any quarry site anywhere. Are these men really working, or were they just made to pose for the camera? We can't tell. "Here, hold this hammer-looking thing like you're going to chop a piece of rock or something. We need some pictures for 'What Quarry?' magazine."

This print is supposedly the temple under construction, but what part of it? And it's a drawing, not a photograph. Why no photographs of this very early stage of construction, when photography was readily available? Where are the newspaper articles describing this incredible work of art? People were as hungry then as they are now for a good story in their local newspaper.

17965 17966

Photo on the left is from 1893, the one on the right is a modern one from the Mormon website. Does it look as if those lowest windows and doors are half-buried? The ground floor certainly looks out of proportion to the other floors above it. Note that the dome, in modern times, has something weird on the top. Is that a handle? Looks like the lid to a baking pan that you'd use to take your green bean casserole to a church potluck. What is going on with that dome?

Construction of the dome in the 1860s, and one from 1937. Once again, there is a scarcity of images, and the only one we find shows it partly constructed already. No evidence of a ground breaking ceremony or anything.

The insides of these buildings are equally amazing, and equally impossible to believe that they were constructed by Mormons. The pipe organ, alone, is simply mind-boggling. Look at the size of those pipes! Salt Lake Tabernacle organ - Wikipedia Who made those? How was this installed? Why do we see no photographs or other information on the making and installation of this magnificent musical instrument?

There are other Mormon temples in the world, but I don't have time to investigate them. I have a feeling that all of the older ones (dating from the 1850s or thereabouts) will have the same sketchy history connected to them.

jd755

Reactions
A couple of quick things. The Mormon connection to the San Francisco gold rush tale sang out to me. From here:
On May 12, 1848, Samuel Brannan, a Mormon elder from Sutter's Fort, stepped off a boat from Sacramento and paraded down Montgomery Street waving a quinine bottle full of gold dust in one hand and flapping his hat in the other, proclaiming "Gold! Gold! Gold from the American River!"
The gold rush was born that day--not on Jan. 24, 1848, when James Marshall supposedly first discovered gold near Coloma when he was working for John Sutter.
Brannan quickly made a fortune peddling the gold rush--unlike Marshall and Sutter, who died sick and bankrupt years later, as did many other unfortunate '49ers.

Granite gives off radon gas if memory serves. Why would they choose this stone to build from or didn't they know?

The picture of the giant blocks being 'at the quarry'. Everyone has their face blacked out (in post processing?) and then one chap has one dawn on and how is that ladder not falling down?

The stone looks more like a limestone to me whih would make sense from a ease of shaping point of view. Not sure if all granites are hard but mot of them are and much harder and slower to work than limestone.

jd755

Reactions
San Francisco pictures have fried my brain so did some digging in Salt Lake for a change of scene.
First two are from pinterest which hangs on my computer so no link. Found on duckduckgo search.

More blacked out faces as you can see when you embiggen the picture!

The next few are from a Portuguese language blog. 159 Anos da Abertura de Terra do Templo de Salt Lake City | MURILOVISCK - NOTÍCIAS SUD/MORMONS

Up she rises!

Seems someone badly copied a stereograph

Impressive cranes

Basement?

Another from pinterest

Interesting site Utah's Present History
And another About The Salt Lake Mormon Tabernacle

Seems it really is granite. From here. Blossom as a Rose — Russel Albert Daniels

Jagged edges lined with drill holes and scaffold supports reveal the efforts of past Temple quarrymen at the Upper LDS Temple Granite Quarry in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

A storage cave in a granite cliff at the site of the Upper LDS Temple Granite Quarry in Little Cottonwood Canyon. For 40 years, the church quarried granite to build the walls of the Salt Lake Temple. It took three to four days to carry the stone the 20 miles to downtown Salt Lake City. With the advent of the railroad, stones could be moved to the Temple grounds in four hours

This is another LDS temple being built out of oolitic sandstone but it shows how the stones were finished/adjusted on site as evidenced by the pile of rock chips in the middle ground. Same blacked out faces as in the other stone pictures.
From here Set in Stone, Fixed in Glass – 5: George Edward Anderson |

Last edited:

Violet_Durn

Reactions

Thanks to Rebel Without a Pause. This is one building I hadn't thought to take a look at, but there certainly are some very strange things going on here. Lots of lies, cover-ups, and bullshit history, as usual. Here is the Wiki article: Salt Lake Temple - Wikipedia. It's undeniably a gorgeous building, and if you didn't know what it was, you'd swear it was a European cathedral...which, in a sense, it is, because of course it's the same architecture that we can see all over the world. The middle, highest, tower is topped with a statue, while the two smaller towers have metal devices on them.The statue is meant to be the angel Moroni, but it could have originally been anybody, or was added in modern times.

If you scroll down to "Symbols," you'll see this image:

There's Moroni, the all-seeing eye, Earth, Saturn, clasped hands, square and compass....all Masonic symbols that probably go back to before the Freemasons even existed. Here, they've been re-interpreted to mean different things so that church members won't know what they are walking into.

If you look up images of the temple under construction, you won't find much. No surprise there.

Note that we see no pictures of the foundation work, only the upper towers with scaffolding. It's as if they removed some of the upper structure and rebuilt it, or are repairing damage to the towers. Whatever is going on here, it doesn't look like a ground-up construction job. And note that the Tabernacle dome, an enormous structure covering almost as much ground as the temple, is already in place. When was that built? Why is there a 30-foot metal rod on top of it?

The image on the left is supposed to be the foundation blocks for the temple, with workers...doing something with them? Is this how a construction site normally looks? I would think they'd carefully arrange the blocks in organized stacks according to size and purpose, not just dump them in a huge mess all over the ground. There aren't very many workers, and they don't appear to be working, just sort of milling around in all this broken rubble, posing for the camera. Who are these guys? On the right is what is supposed to be the quarry site where the granite was cut. How do we know? It could be any quarry site anywhere. Are these men really working, or were they just made to pose for the camera? We can't tell. "Here, hold this hammer-looking thing like you're going to chop a piece of rock or something. We need some pictures for 'What Quarry?' magazine."

This print is supposedly the temple under construction, but what part of it? And it's a drawing, not a photograph. Why no photographs of this very early stage of construction, when photography was readily available? Where are the newspaper articles describing this incredible work of art? People were as hungry then as they are now for a good story in their local newspaper.

Photo on the left is from 1893, the one on the right is a modern one from the Mormon website. Does it look as if those lowest windows and doors are half-buried? The ground floor certainly looks out of proportion to the other floors above it. Note that the dome, in modern times, has something weird on the top. Is that a handle? Looks like the lid to a baking pan that you'd use to take your green bean casserole to a church potluck. What is going on with that dome?

Construction of the dome in the 1860s, and one from 1937. Once again, there is a scarcity of images, and the only one we find shows it partly constructed already. No evidence of a ground breaking ceremony or anything.

The insides of these buildings are equally amazing, and equally impossible to believe that they were constructed by Mormons. The pipe organ, alone, is simply mind-boggling. Look at the size of those pipes! Salt Lake Tabernacle organ - Wikipedia Who made those? How was this installed? Why do we see no photographs or other information on the making and installation of this magnificent musical instrument?

There are other Mormon temples in the world, but I don't have time to investigate them. I have a feeling that all of the older ones (dating from the 1850s or thereabouts) will have the same sketchy history connected to them.

Heres something for you all, The gold statue on top of this temple was created with gold given to Joseph Smith by my 6th paternal grandfather Chief Walkara. It is actually Aztec gold that was smuggled north to caves in Utah near SLC by Montezuma when the first raid of Spaniards invaded. :O

Ive thought about posing a question about the Mormons for a while now. I am not Mormon, however due to my ancestors relationship with Joseph Smith my fathers side of the family are. The book of Mormon speaks of a great civilization here in American founded by the lost tribe of Israel.

OP
BrokenAgate

BrokenAgate

Reactions

Who the hell is this guy? There is a man in what appears to be a fez (or maybe just a funny hat) on the left, I wonder who he is, too. And those are obviously lamp bulbs sticking out of that device. Is this something that was removed and replaced with that golden statue? I think I see a wire extending from beneath the base of the ball-shaped part.

Heres something for you all, The gold statue on top of this temple was created with gold given to Joseph Smith by my 6th paternal grandfather Chief Walkara. It is actually Aztec gold that was smuggled north to caves in Utah near SLC by Montezuma when the first raid of Spaniards invaded.
Whoa, that's pretty awesome! Also sad, because the destruction of Aztec history by the Spaniards has always been a sore spot with me. Only now, since learning that most of history has been faked or exaggerated or otherwise tampered with, I wonder what the Conquistadors were really destroying. Perhaps not just idols and pagan artifacts that they found offensive to Christianity, but technology?

jd755

Reactions
More from here Salt Lake LDS Temple

"Brigham Young drew upon a slate in the architect's office a sketch, and said to Truman O. Angell: 'There will be three towers on the east, representing the President and his two counselors; also three similar towers on the west representing the Presiding Bishop and his two counselors; the towers on the east the Melchisedek priesthood, those on the west the Aaronic priesthood. The center towers will be higher than those on the sides, and the west towers a little lower than those on the east end. The body of the building will be between these.'"

The Utah War started in 1857, sending US troops to Utah. To protect the temple grounds, pioneers covered the temple foundation to make it appear as if it were a farm. After the tensions eased in 1858, the foundation was uncovered only to discover that several of the sandstone blocks originally used had cracked. These stones were removed and replaced with granite stones from the Little Cottonwood Quarry. Rebuilding the foundation proceeded slowly; the foundation did not reach ground level until 1867, fourteen years after the original cornerstones were laid.

The foundations in 1867

Bloke on the ball is identified here Image shows Ephraim George Holding inspecting an electric light on top of the Salt Lake Temple. May 1892

Plissken

Reactions
The metal building seemed weird to me. I am working on a thread for the Capitol buildings and found this metal domed building that I had never heard of nicknamed THE OVEN.

According to the Architect of the Capitol website, this was supposedly built to house the House of Representatives back in 1801. No pictures exist or drawings except the one above. Even though it shows a round building, it is described as elliptical. It was so hot and muggy in the building they nicknamed it the oven -- kind of like it wasn't made for what they were using it for. It sat atop the already completed foundations of the south wing.

Architect of the Capitol Link

The only other thing I could find, also for the Architect of the Capitol was a Youtube video - note the lack of foundation in their reenactment.

Link

KosmicKitten

Reactions
THANK YOU for pulling this thread together. I grew up Mormon and as I uncover the hidden history of humankind I am finding Mormon involvement or influence in all sorts of nasty places. For example, there are many many reports of ritual abuse and occult practices occurring at a similarly aged “Temple” located in Manti, Utah. That building had the distinction of being an operating temple without a gold Angel Moroni atop it.

Mormonism is rife with mysticism and mystery. And it has a very sinister underbelly to the organization’s glossy and “wholesome” veneer. I hadn’t considered up until this point the idea that Salt Lake could have been a Tartarian(?) colony that was later home to colonizers.

The unbelievable Pipe Organ in the Tabernacle has always been a mystery to me. There’s another thread here at Stolen History (I gotta go find it) that wonders what the original intent of European churches and grand organs could have been. That perhaps these places were for sonic cleansing and restorative healing, but their original use have been supplanted by those currently in charge. Supposedly, Mormon Pioneers had a hell of a time trying to survive on the inhospitable Wasatch Front. They could barely make crops work for the first few years of living in dry Utah yet they managed to construct an incredible musical instrument and house a building for it.

BStankman

Reactions
Lol. We obviously had different ladders back then. We know nothing about the year i29 ;)
Component analysis (along with shadow) suggests it was drawn on.
I wonder why.

The book of Mormon speaks of a great civilization here in American founded by the lost tribe of Israel.
This book mentions a tribe that wandered for fourty years.

The time when they deserted New Mexico, as their most authentick Histories or Records declare, was (according to our computation) Anno 940. and they farther affirm, that they spent forty years in a Journey, which might have been travell'd in a Moneth:

And another that carries an Ark in a tent.

The Tlascallans having possess'd New Spain three hundred and two years, a seventh Tribe (a valiant and civiliz'd People) came thither, upon their Daemon Viztli∣puztli's promise of having the supream Government: wherefore he was carried in an Ark by four chief Priests, whom he inform'd whither and when they should travel or rest, for where ever they stopt, they built a Tent in the middle of their Army for their Idol,

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Copied over from this thread 1878 Panorama of San Francisco from California Street Hill
Originally from here William T. Sherman and the Gold Rush - Part II

"In my opinion, when the Mormons were driven from Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1844, they cast about for a land where they would not be disturbed again, and fixed on California. In the year 1845 a ship, the Brooklyn, sailed from New York for California, with a colony of Mormons, of which Sam Brannan was the leader, and we found them there on our arrival in January, 1847."

"When General Kearny, at Fort Leavenworth, was collecting volunteers early 1846, for the Mexican War, he, through the instrumentality of Captain James Allen, brother to our quartermaster, General Robert Allen, raised the battalion of Mormons at Kanesville, Iowa, now Council Bluffs, on the express understanding that it would facilitate their migration to California. But when the Mormons reached Salt Lake, in 1846, they learned that they had been forestalled by the United States forces in California, and they then determined to settle down where they were."

whitewave

Reactions
The book of Mormon speaks of a great civilization here in American founded by the lost tribe of Israel.
I don't want to bash on anyone's religion. I just want to point out what concerns me regarding the Mormons. And it would bother me no matter who was doing it. Genealogy collections. Their stated reasons for collecting all the world's genealogical information has something to do with praying for the dead but only if they're related. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm also of Native American descent and followed my family survival practice of NOT getting on the Indian rolls. Last time any racial/ethnic group was catalogued and registered things didn't work out too well for them (Jews). When Obama talked about "ending the line of tribes", he didn't specify what he meant but it put me on high alert.

Plus, I don't like the idea of having selective information all gathered in one place by one religious group (religious and historical info at the Vatican, genealogies in the hands of Mormons, etc.). That sort of information should be for all the people, not just for a select few.

The Church has 220 data-gathering teams in forty-five countries that are making digital copies of new records. Overall the data the Mormons have gathered is equivalent to thirty-two times the amount of information contained in the Library of Congress-and the church adds a new Library of Congress worth of new data every year.

I don't think the government listening posts and alphabet groups have that much data on us!

Red Bird

Reactions
I don't want to bash on anyone's religion. I just want to point out what concerns me regarding the Mormons. And it would bother me no matter who was doing it. Genealogy collections. Their stated reasons for collecting all the world's genealogical information has something to do with praying for the dead but only if they're related. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm also of Native American descent and followed my family survival practice of NOT getting on the Indian rolls. Last time any racial/ethnic group was catalogued and registered things didn't work out too well for them (Jews). When Obama talked about "ending the line of tribes", he didn't specify what he meant but it put me on high alert.

Plus, I don't like the idea of having selective information all gathered in one place by one religious group (religious and historical info at the Vatican, genealogies in the hands of Mormons, etc.). That sort of information should be for all the people, not just for a select few.

The Church has 220 data-gathering teams in forty-five countries that are making digital copies of new records. Overall the data the Mormons have gathered is equivalent to thirty-two times the amount of information contained in the Library of Congress-and the church adds a new Library of Congress worth of new data every year.

I don't think the government listening posts and alphabet groups have that much data on us!
Freemasons are trying to gather children’s dna- just google. Mormons are obviously Freemasons as their cartel signaling above shows.

Plissken

Reactions
I came across this picture of the temple, note the inscription on the picture laying the caption, with an all-seeing eye underneath it. Maybe the Masons use this ceremony because they did not lay the cornerstone. Maybe this is why we see all these finished building with scaffolding on top. So they can do what ever crazy ceremonies accompany such events.

Everyone knows about the Mormon Tabernacle. Salt Lake also has huge pipe organs in Assembly Hall in Temple Square

And in the local Catholic church, The Cathedral of the Madeleine

Misc. Salt Lake postcards and panoramic view:

And then this intriguing photo in Memory Grove, that is the Capitol Dome peaking out behind that huge pile of dirt.

Same view today

🐍 Plissken

Maxine

Reactions
View attachment 18104

Who the hell is this guy? There is a man in what appears to be a fez (or maybe just a funny hat) on the left, I wonder who he is, too. And those are obviously lamp bulbs sticking out of that device. Is this something that was removed and replaced with that golden statue? I think I see a wire extending from beneath the base of the ball-shaped part.
Wow! Yes, i found a higher resolution picture and yes it's a lightbulbs there! How did they managed to slip this picture through their censorship? Because that's just a one ass-smacking proof here of this technology, i think even skeptical person will notice that it's clearly a device with lightbulbs and e.t.c. present here. We really need to show this pic to some well known skeptics of this technology. it's a damn proof right here!

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Wow! Yes, i found a higher resolution picture and yes it's a lightbulbs there! How did they managed to slip this picture through their censorship? Because that's just a one ass-smacking proof here of this technology, i think even skeptical person will notice that it's clearly a device with lightbulbs and e.t.c. present here. We really need to show this pic to some well known skeptics of this technology. it's a damn proof right here!
View attachment 18495
From up the page aways, perhaps you missed it.
Bloke on the ball is identified here Image shows Ephraim George Holding inspecting an electric light on top of the Salt Lake Temple. May 1892

And this

On April 6, 1892, as a band played “The Capstone March,” the Saints gathered south of the temple.

Promptly at high noon, President Wilford Woodruff stepped to the podium, raised “both hands to heaven,” and proclaimed in a loud voice: “Attention, all ye house of Israel and all ye nations of the earth. We will now lay the top stone of the Temple of our God.”

President Woodruff pressed a button on the stand, and an electrically operated device lowered the capstone slowly and securely. As the stone descended into place, Elder Lorenzo Snow led the Hosanna Shout, with thousands of white handkerchiefs waving in unison. From high up on the temple, architect Joseph Don Carlos Young called out that the capstone was duly laid. With great emotion, the huge throng sang “The Spirit of God.”

Yes its a 'religious studies page but the article it does mention electricity. 4. The Design, Construction, and Role of the Salt Lake Temple | Religious Studies Center

Last edited:

Maxine

Reactions
From up the page aways, perhaps you missed it.

And this

On April 6, 1892, as a band played “The Capstone March,” the Saints gathered south of the temple.

Promptly at high noon, President Wilford Woodruff stepped to the podium, raised “both hands to heaven,” and proclaimed in a loud voice: “Attention, all ye house of Israel and all ye nations of the earth. We will now lay the top stone of the Temple of our God.”

President Woodruff pressed a button on the stand, and an electrically operated device lowered the capstone slowly and securely. As the stone descended into place, Elder Lorenzo Snow led the Hosanna Shout, with thousands of white handkerchiefs waving in unison. From high up on the temple, architect Joseph Don Carlos Young called out that the capstone was duly laid. With great emotion, the huge throng sang “The Spirit of God.”

Yes its a 'religious studies page but the article it does mention electricity. 4. The Design, Construction, and Role of the Salt Lake Temple | Religious Studies Center
Yes, but they haven't mentioned exactly what it was powered with, so i would say these lights were definitely powered by Aether electricity, judging by the way it is constructed, these spheres and pole!

jd755

Reactions
From here History — Trolley Sqaure
Utah played a key role in the history of electrical power. While Utah was still a federal territory, in 1880 the Salt Lake Power, Light, and Heating Company was formed. Following London, New York, San Francisco, and Cleveland, in 1881 Salt Lake City became the world's fifth city to electrify with a central station source of electricity.

The only mystery to me is how were the mormons able to afford the wiring and lighting or was it just a massive advertising gimmick of the day to sell the notion of electricity to the residents of the city or was the visit of the US President (just realised he is a President of the Mormons) with his weird statement above and his laying of stone by electricity symbolic of something else or was it simply L.L Nunn who founded the Salt Lake Power, Light and Heating company 'showing off'?

Masonic Mormons or Mormon Masons?
From here Mormons and Masons: 5 Fascinating Connections

1. The first five Latter-day prophets were Freemasons.

Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and Lorenzo Snow all were members of the fraternity. All joined while living with the Saints in Nauvoo.

2. Joseph Smith joined the Masons in Nauvoo in March 1842.

Why would the Prophet join the Masons? In his essay “Freemasonry and the LDS Temple Endowment,” as found in the new book A Reason for Faith, Stephen C. Harper writes, “Joseph likely pondered the fraternal ceremony as he contemplated how he could prepare his followers for what awaited them in the new temple, how he might best teach them what he had learned over time from angels, from translating ancient records by the power of God, and from what he called ‘time, and experience, and careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts.’”

3. Mormonism and Masonry use several of the same symbols.

Though the same symbols are used, there are many references to these symbols in LDS history occurring well before Joseph Smith became a Freemason. In fact, Matthew B. Brown, author of Exploring the Connections Between Mormons and Masons, has found several references prior to 1842. For example:

All-Seeing Eye

1828–29: “I pray the God of my salvation that He view me with His all-searching eye” (2 Nephi 9:44).

May 1836: “God is not mocked with impunity. His all-seeing eye beholds you at all times. . . . His all-seeing eye surveys the whole of His vast creation” (remark by John Whitmer).

Handclasp

27 June 1839: Joseph Smith taught the members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles one of “the keys of the kingdom of God,” which was how to detect the nature of an otherworldly visitor by means of a handclasp.

22 July 1840: Joseph Smith Jr. had a scribe write in a letter to William W. Phelps, “I shall be happy once again to give you the right hand of fellowship.”

Holiness to the Lord

April 1830: “walking in holiness before the Lord” (D&C 20:69).

25 June 1833: The First Presidency of the Church wrote in a letter that each of the 24 temples in Jackson County, Missouri, was to be adorned with the inscription, “HOLINESS TO THE LORD” (History of the Church, 1:359).

Bees

1829: Honeybees called “deseret” (Ether 2:3).

November 1832: The disciple of Jesus Christ is to have “industry” like the “bees” (Evening and Morning Star, vol. 1, no. 6).

4. There are similarities between the Masonic and temple ordinances. However, the relationship between the two should not be oversimplified or overstated.

“Some people reason that Joseph Smith initiated men and women into the endowment ordinances after he was initiated into Freemasonry; therefore, the temple rituals derived from Masonry. One problem in this theory is that Freemasonry itself borrowed much of its ritual and ceremony from elements preserved since antiquity,” Harper explains in his essay “Freemasonry and the LDS Temple Endowment,” as found in A Reason for Faith.

He continues, “It may be that some ritual forms were adapted from Masonic traditions, but the endowment teaches a divine plan of creation, Fall, and redemption through Christ—promising those who covenant to keep God’s laws that they will gain power over the effects of the Fall.”

5. Early Church leaders agreed that Freemasonry could be traced back to the priesthood.

In his book Exploring the Connection Between Mormons and Masons, Matthew B. Brown includes several statements from prominent Latter-day Saints in the early Church. He writes:

“[Such quotes] establish the viewpoint of some 19th century Mormons with regard to the origin of Freemasonry. The first statement comes from Joseph Smith's scribe Willard Richards and was written by him on or very near the day when the Prophet was raised to the degree of Master Mason. The statements by Heber C. Kimball (a contemporary record) and Benjamin F. Johnson (a reminiscent account) reflect the thought of Joseph Smith on the matter.

BONUS FACT: Mozart, Napoleon, Walt Disney, and 13 U.S. presidents were also Freemasons.

President Polk who effectively prevented the Mormons from reaching their Nirvana of California by annexation then treaty was a Freemason.!

From here Freemason Presidents - James K. Polk
"Except for Thomas Jefferson, Brother Polk increased the size of the United States more than any other president, gaining 1.2 million square miles after the Mexican-American War, and the Oregon Territory, consisting of more than 200,000 square miles, by treaty with England."

And from here Mormons and Presidents: Polk- Taylor
Here's probably why.

The president was also concerned that the Mormons could complicate his plans for western expansion by either attempting to form their own independent state, or aligning with a forging power such as England. As a consequence of this the president authorized the enlistment of a ‘Mormon Battalion’ to serve in the war with Mexico, hoping to ensure loyalty through government service.

So either deliberately or inadvertently President Polk the Freemason created the conditions which meant the Mormons were effectively stalled at Salt Lake in their flight to Alta California from Nauvoo.

From here
freemasonry_and_mormonism

Joseph Smith Jr., the founder and first leader of the LDS Church, had been made a Master Mason while in Nauvoo, Illinois. Additionally, many of the prominent men of the early LDS Church were avid Mason's, men such as Brigham Young Joseph Smith's successor, Hyrum Smith -Joseph's brother, Wilford Woodruff, and George Albert Smith, successive leaders of the Church, to name a few.

There was according to that page a schism that developed at Nauvoo between Mormon masons and non Mormon masons which led to the flight of the Mormons.
Interestingly the mason that authored that page doesn't mention Polk or California at all.

A very muddy intertwined masonic mormon relationship/co-existence was in play during the early to mid 1800's.

Last edited:
OP
BrokenAgate

BrokenAgate

Reactions
President Polk who effectively prevented the Mormons from reaching their Nirvana of California by annexation then treaty was a Freemason.!
Prior to this, I couldn't have named a single thing that President Polk ever accomplished. Now I know he was a Freemason, although probably a lot of presidents were. Clearly, I need to do more reading on the Freemasons. So much to study, so little time!