1892 Washington Square Arch

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Washington_Square_by_Matthew_Bisanz_repair.jpg

The original arch, made of plaster and wood, was erected in 1889 to commemorate the centennial of the inauguration of President Washington. Due to its immense popularity (KD: LOL), the permanent marble arch, designed by New York architect Stanford White, was built in 1892.

1892-washington-square-arch-new-york-history.jpg

KD: I probably need to take a week off, or something. May be I'm seeing things, but the stuff is weird. What were they repairing, and what event was W talking about?

Timeshifter

Reactions
'During the excavations for the eastern pier, human remains, a coffin, and a gravestone dated 1803 were uncovered 10 feet (3.0 m) below ground level'

Given average grave is 6ft? Does that allow for 4 ft of mud?

jd755

Reactions
Duckduckgo found this Washington Arch

Evolution of the Arch

“Temporary” architecture was common for major celebrations in the late 19th century: most of the buildings for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago (see Columbus in Central Park) were built to endure only for the length of the fair (1892-1893). New York had its share of such structures, including 4 arches erected in 1889 to honor the centennial of Washington’s inauguration.

washingtonarchwood.jpg

And another view from here
arch.jpg

Last edited:

Feralimal

Reactions
KD: I probably need to take a week off, or something. May be I'm seeing things, but the stuff is weird. What were they repairing, and what event was W talking about?
I agree the use of the word 'repair' is ambiguous. However, there are also multiple meanings. See:
Websters Dictionary 1828 - Webster's Dictionary 1828 - repair
So, it could mean "resort to", as in last resort.

So, it might be read as:
"Let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest can resort to as a sanctuary".

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
It’s only ambiguous if you allow it to be. In my understanding you cannot a repair a nonexistent object. It has to be built first, and become unserviceable second. Only then the repairs crew comes in. What exactly they were repairing they blatantly did not clarify.

It’s just my opinion on the matter.

Kansas

Reactions
Decided to add to this thread instead of making a new one... these arches are all over north america.... built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. All built in the style of “the conquering arch” - who/what was conquered? Who did the conquering? - they call many of them “memorial arches” - Memorial gates and arches - Wikipedia