1888 Ponce de Leon Hotel in Florida

Ckomada

Reactions
Hahaha, I watched that when it was first released. Id' think the toilets are buried under the basement or something.
Is it likely that our thought paradigm of indoor bathrooms are not compatible with a civilization that relied heavily on outdoor facilities?
character
I’m thinking the archaic Spanish historical influence. There must have been relics from that past culture.

whitewave

Reactions
I don't remember. Wasn't paying that close of attention to anything other than the beauty of the architecture back in those days.

"Many homes were constructed using the Amerindian knowledge of building with coquina and stone. Source: Susan Sims"
If AmeriIndians knew how to build stone homes, why were they living in buffalo hide teepees?

Ckomada

Reactions
I simply cannot imagine someone waking up at 3 am on the 5th floor of this hotel and marching his/her happy self all the way down and outside to take a leak. It would be easier to imagine that they had some of these, but the technology mismatch would rule them out.

If we are ready to accept that they had public bathrooms outside, or chamber pots in this hotel, we might as well stop looking into all the inconsistencies we are faced with. This way anything can be semi-plausibly explained.
Having electricity is evident and perhaps wireless. Indoor plumbing was likely limited to lower floors. Those chamber pots are depicted in many historical films and relics of that time can be found as antiques today

Makes perfect sense.
I don't remember. Wasn't paying that close of attention to anything other than the beauty of the architecture back in those days.

"Many homes were constructed using the Amerindian knowledge of building with coquina and stone. Source: Susan Sims"
If AmeriIndians knew how to build stone homes, why were they living in buffalo hide teepees?
They were nomads.

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Another thing to consider is the amount of concrete used to put this hotel together. We have plenty of equipment drawings of what allegedly was used for mixing and pouring. Do we have any photographs though? It seems just about any construction photo we see is lacking the proper equipment.

This is this Ponce de Leon Hotel under construction. Did they use wood to build it, and then petrified it real quick?

pdl_construction.jpg