1887 Victoria Terminus Building, Mumbai

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Victoria Terminus aka Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
Frederick W. Stevens designed this building for the Great Indian Peninsular Railway, to serve as its main train station in Bombay. The style combines the Venetian Gothic popular in England at the time with elements of Indian architecture, and is built in the local red sandstone. A thirteen-foot personification of Progress, raising her arm toward the skies, tops the central dome. The Terminus opened in 1887 in time to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
Yup, its a Railway Station in 1880s India
bombei_1865-1.jpg

Bigger Image
A tiger statue forms a pair with a lion statue on the gate pillars of the Victoria Terminus, both of which are works of Thomas Earp.

lion.jpg

And next to the above building we have this Municipal Corporation Building by the same architect.

bombai_1.jpg

mumbai.jpg

SuperTrouper

Reactions
I've seen so many buildings, very similar in "colonial" style, when I visited Yangon (Myanmar) a few years ago. I guess it's the same region of Asia. Perhaps they were not so grandiose as this one, but I was totally blown away, as I did not expect to see anything like it. This is to say nothing of spectacular temples that exist across South and Southeast Asia...

Madwack

Reactions
Yup, its a Railway Station in 1880s India

And the Easter bunny is real.

Chhatrapati-Shivaji-Terminus-Mumbai.jpg

A griffin and a lion, is there any meaning to it other then they look nice?

Also shouldn't something like this be from like the 14th Century (about)?

Last edited:

CitizenShip

Reactions
I can not remember where is heard this or back it up in any way but when the Portuguese arrived the entire city was already there, including all it's various forts and extensive cave networks that had been excavated in such a way to leave behind mahoosive statues of budda and the like.

The Elepahante caves have that very mud flooded look, even waki has a detailed write up about them.

Truly fascinating city that is choc full of mysteries.

Elephanta Caves - Wikipedia

Google Maps

That is the Mahakali caves that overlook the city, there is also many remains of star forts in this city!

Timeshifter

Reactions
No construction details/ photos/ etchings, nothing new there.

No evidence of the previous Bori Bunder station... Except this?

Panorama_-_From_the_Cathedral,_Bombay._No._4._Looking_towards_Boree_Bunder_(12675171104).jpg

edit, found this:

Work began in 1851 with 10,000 workers toiling night and day to complete the job before time in just 25 months at 20% less than estimated cost. 16th April 1853 was appointed as Inauguration Day, an event so significant that the authorities declared it a public holiday.

Source

From this (Could be anywhere and anywhen)

first-emu-sandhurst-road_anurag-mallick.jpg

To this: in jst 2 years

victoria-terminus_anurag-mallick.jpg

Where did it all go wrong for the construction business?

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Boree Bunder, (playing with words is the easiest way to hide history.) Searching startpage and giberu using boree bunder railway station as the search string.

No pictures just a story.
Boribunder to Thana: 1853 Revisited

Again no pictures just text
CST’s hidden heritage

Probably named for Bor trees, the original station had small multiple wooden structures and was located a little north of the present terminus building. These were situated diagonally to the south of the latter-day Carnac Bridge, just before the Electric Locomotive Shed. On the day of the first run, the first train, a 14-coach affair with three engines, probably extended all the way till Carnac Road (there was no bridge then). Later, Byculla station was much preferred by the elite to Boree Bunder.

Seems one needs a google account to view this site and I haven't got one.
Blogger

From the slideshow on this site RARE images: Mumbai's infrastructure since 1864!

Undated but shows construction of the Mercantile Bank of India in Mumbai

12mumbai11.jpg