1861-74 California State Capitol: construction or not?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The California State Capitol is located in Sacramento. The Neoclassical structure was completed between 1861 and 1874 at the west end of Capitol Park, which is framed by L Street to the north, N Street to the south, 10th Street to the west, and 15th Street to the east.
I had no plans on touching this structure, but as it often happens, I could not help it. Tell me if you see anything wrong with the below "construction" photograph. The photo was obtained here, and the contributing institution is listed as the California State Library.

Why do you think we have issues like this?

Title: California Capitol, construction
cal_cap.jpg

While looking for the original of the above photograph, this YT video popped up. Pretty sure you will like the vid. Enjoy.

What do you think was in the sky?

cali_state.jpg

And here is two more of this guy's videos pertaining to this building.

Searching

Reactions
The quality of the building on the left side of the picture does not match the rest of the building.

Most all photos from this era have the sky edited.

I've saved a lot of Civil War pics like this and have thought a lot about what has been edited out. Maybe large communication towers that would have been anachronistic to the time period.

I looked into the timeline of telegraphy and it is farcical as everything else. The government saw little need for this form of communication until The Civil War. Within 6 months of the start of the war, the U.S. Military Telegraph Corps (USMT) had laid approximately 300 miles of line. By war's end they had laid approximately 15,000 miles of cable, 8,000 for military and 5,000 for commercial use, and had handled approximately 6.5 million messages.
Electrical telegraph - Wikipedia

Golly, 15,000 miles of cable. With just a horse for transportation. In less than 4 years. During a war... I figured all able-bodied men would have been fighting.

The Telegraph Construction Corps were charged with the dangerous job of building telegraph lines in the field.

milhaus

Reactions
Looks like a painting (sky and the blades of grass on the left hand side if anyone can't easily see what's wrong), building looks sketched to me, although drawn over a real photograph for reference in some places. Horse and men pasted in. The tools and fencing in the foreground look drawn in. I am not an expert, but it is very poorly done...

It is listed as a reproduction image, though, and was issued in 1941 based on the original
Date Created and/or Issued [1941]
Reproduction of 1860's image, Sacramento Union, Anniversary Edition, March 23, 1941.

However, I have not come across the original image this was based on.
And if that is what it looked like in 1860, here is what it looked like in 1868

Unless by 1860's image it means that it could have been completed in 1869 but I haven't seen a photo showing it completed other than your image and haven't found the image from the YT video. The one with the hidden objects in the sky.

this one has a listed date of [19--]

If I didn't know any better it would look like they had found this building and it took them a lot longer than 14 years to complete it.

stereo-1088.jpg
1868 again.

But then that raises a lot more questions than answers for me. To answer your other question as to why we have problems like this; at some point someone must have realized there was no evidence or explanation for the building so they had to fabricate an image. The two men and horse reinforce how we are told this was accomplished.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
If you watch the second video, this guy makes a claim that this building was built prior to 1810.

Any opinions?
and haven't found the image from the YT video. The one with the hidden objects in the sky
The largest one I found.

capitol_const_1_cal.jpg
I answered the question you posed. I do not know why the rest was drawn in.
Apologies. Did not mean to come across like that.

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
If you watch the second video, this guy makes a claim that this building was built prior to 1810.

Any opinions?

The largest one I found.
Apologies. Did not mean to come across like that.
Those stairs don't look original to the structure In this photo at all. On first look, this looks like the best evidence so far of a tear down as opposed to a construction. Would love some more photos to peruse.

milhaus

Reactions

Any opinions?

The largest one I found.
Thanks for the image. Only date I see attached is in fact 1869
A Timeline - Out of the Vault: Treasures from Your California State Library

1862 flooding

Over one thousand of the Library’s 11,000 books are damaged in a great flood

The California State Capitol or “State House” under construction circa 1867

A northeast view of the nearly completed State Capitol or “State House” circa 1874

Northwest view of the State Capitol circa 1884. People can be seen walking and the new granite and masonry fence which was constructed to replace the wood fence at the front of Capitol Park from 11th and N Street around 10th Street to 11th and L Street.

Theodore Roosevelt outside the east side of the State Capitol addressing a crowd circa 1903.

View of the east side of the State Capitol building, dome and grounds circa 1904.

California State Capitol Senate Chamber between 1900 and 1906.

View of the east side of the State Capitol showing the dome and entrance with an airplane flying overhead circa 1908.

East side of the State Capitol showing the steps that lead up to the building circa 1910.

View of the east side of the State Capitol circa 1924. Cars can be seen parked near the entrance of the building and also driving around towards the west side.

Aerial view of the State Capitol from the west side circa 1925.

Guessing the 19-- is human error

Photo Gallery | California State Senate Sergeant-At-Arms

1968/112/009

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The guy in the video suggests that this building stood prior to 1810. At least this is my understanding, and I'm willing to entertain that.

San Francisco was founded on June 29, 1776. The California Gold Rush of 1849 brought rapid growth, making it the largest city on the West Coast at the time. Essentially we do not have any info suggesting that any structures of this magnitude were standing there. At the same time 75 years had to produce something. The question of why TPTB would want to hide the preexisting structures would run into the same issue of 1812 in my opinion.
Unfortunately this Señora Juana Briones is not gonna tell us much based on the Wikipedia info alone. At the same time the year of 1812 had some remarkable earthquakes as can be seen via the same link I mentioned above. Interesting that this Briones lady was only 10 years old at the time.

This Señora Juana Briones, is definitely a character in the life of San Francisco. She is considered to be the Mother of SF.
kd_separator.jpg

Ok, what did they have in San Francisco around 1800s, and were they supposed to have it? The below cutouts are from the book dated with MDCCCVI, which is 1806. We can not even get any demographics info on SF prior to 1848 when they allegedly had 1,000 citizens.

SF_1806.png

milhaus

Reactions
The guy in the video suggests that this building stood prior to 1810. At least this is my understanding, and I'm willing to entertain that.

San Francisco was founded on June 29, 1776. The California Gold Rush of 1849 brought rapid growth, making it the largest city on the West Coast at the time. Essentially we do not have any info suggesting that any structures of this magnitude were standing there. At the same time 75 years had to produce something. The question of why TPTB would want to hide the preexisting structures would run into the same issue of 1812 in my opinion.
Unfortunately this Señora Juana Briones is not gonna tell us much based on the Wikipedia info alone. At the same time the year of 1812 had some remarkable earthquakes as can be seen via the same link I mentioned above. Interesting that this Briones lady was only 10 years old at the time.

This Señora Juana Briones, is definitely a character in the life of San Francisco. She is considered to be the Mother of SF.
Ok, what did they have in San Francisco around 1800s, and were they supposed to have it? The below cutouts are from the book dated with MDCCCVI, which is 1806. We can not even get any demographics info on SF prior to 1848 when they allegedly had 1,000 citizens.

Only problem with that is you would have to explain why the top was missing.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Only problem with that is you would have to explain why the top was missing.
The "Earthquake" of 1812 may be... whatever that earthquake was. The same mechanism of destruction caused The New Madrid Earthquake. For right now that is.

More info on those "earthquakes" is here. Same link as one of the above.

Wondering why they would want to make sure that Port Sir Francis Drake is not San Francisco on this 1776 Map. By the way, the same year San Francisco was allegedly founded.

SF_1776.jpg

Who knows what map this is? Looks like there could be a starfort where today's SF is. Got it from here.

spanish-map-monterey-north.jpg

BStankman

Reactions
The photo was obtained here
If you download the 95.7 MB tiff you can actually see the paint flaking off.
(Converted to a 7.8 MB jpg, it is still to large to attach)

What did transformer say? The war of 1812 was on the west coast.

Spanish, French, Russian, or some kind of confederation.
This image here certainly is familiar. Looks like it could be 1800s Mexico or India or really anywhere.

Whatever civilization already here, it gives a new meaning to how the west was won in the 19th century.
The 1811-1816 mudflood reset is starting to come together.
Maybe re define what the robber barons were, and who they robbed the technology and infrastructure from.

jd755

Reactions
Quite an obscure book but the name George H. Torney is very distinctive. A duckduckgo search brought up loads of sites of which this is one.
About: George H. Torney
Brigadier General George Henry Torney (June 1, 1850 – December 27, 1913) was a physician in the United States Navy and Army who served as the 21st Surgeon General of the United States Army.

So going to the google book link you gave I found this;

User Review - Flag as inappropriate
False year of publication, which was actually 1906.
User Review - Flag as inappropriate
Clearly the 1905-6 volume, not 1806

So went to duckduckgo again and found this
Journal of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. : Association of Military Surgeons of the United States : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Publication date 1906

RexLibris

Reactions
Having grown up in Northern CA I have always been fascinated with early regional history so I couldn't help but do a bit of spin-off reading motivated by this thread/topic. The small maps of the San Fran coast added by @KorbenDallas led me to find this interesting tidbit about Drake's documentation of his voyage(s):

"Drake's journals and maps of the circumnavigation were embargoed by the queen . . . [and] later believed lost in a palace fire." (emphasis added)

Now where have I heard that before?... :rolleyes:

Golden Hind first English ship to sail around the world

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
False year of publication, which was actually 1906.
Great eyes you have there. No clue why they added 1806 title page to a 1906 book.
They contained materials of national importance, including his routes and ports, plus Drake's failed attempt to find the fabled 'North West Passage' back to England across the top of North America.
Wondering what national importance could be in that for the UK considering the distance to those routes, and ports.

Fires definitely take away our chances of figuring out the truth.

BStankman

Reactions