1812 French Invasion of Russia vs. Logistics

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Albrecht Adam 1.Jpeg

Albrecht Adam 2.jpg

So, Adam did two versions of the same scene? There's a dead horse in one, and it's gone in the other. Probably got eaten. But the same goat-leading guy is there, walking opposite to everyone else. Taking food toward the back of the line?

jd755

Reactions
View attachment 21518 View attachment 21519

So, Adam did two versions of the same scene? There's a dead horse in one, and it's gone in the other. Probably got eaten. But the same goat-leading guy is there, walking opposite to everyone else. Taking food toward the back of the line?
My feeling on coming back to these pictures today, is the one with the covered wagon, which is considerably earlier than the other according to their descriptions, was more likely to have been what the artist saw in the field and the later one with every character/animal/uniform/landscape infrastructure (the log bridge moving though 90 degrees and being put under a cart not a little footbridge in the foreground) etc changed but retaining the same layout suggests the latter is a propaganda piece produced to fit whatever the Napoleon narrative was in 1838.

Bear Claw

Reactions
I always wondered whether the logistics were that no-one was supposed to come back alive. Keep what they had seen quiet

fabiorem

Reactions
Not completely unrelated to the Napoleonic Wars, but when I read about the Roman legions, I read the legionnaires were able to march for many hours a day and still be able to build a fort of palisades at the end of the day. The figures of how much hours they marched is not show, it just implies they marched the entire day, from dawn to dusk, and then set up camp by night, the camp always being a fort made of palisades and traps. So I thought were the legionnaires supermen? You have to doubt everything related to logistics in history books, because these logistics are based on what armies are able to accomplish today, in the modern world, with the use of modern machinery. Logistics is only covered for the wars of the 20th century, anything before that you have to be suspicious of what you are being told.

BrokenAgate

Reactions
I wonder where they get this information about the Roman Legionnaires. Did the Legionnaires, themselves--or Napoleon's soldiers, for that matter-- write anything about their experiences? I expect it would all be something like this:

Day 1: Lots of marching today. Setting up camp by a river.
Day 3: More marching.
Day 7: Still more marching and setting up camp. These boots are chafing.
Day 15: Marching.
Day 27: Antonio died of dysentery. I took his boots. They fit me better and he won't be needing them, the rotten bastard.
Day 31: Are we actually GOING anywhere??
Day 40: Pretty sure I've seen that mountain before. Are we going in circles??

And so on. I don't know how we know anything about any of the historical figures we are taught in school. I assumed that records must have survived from those times, and that the records have dates on them or some other indications of when they were written, and by whom. There is probably truth mixed in with all the lies, so we're getting a mix of real documents with fake ones. The hard part is figuring out which is which.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Legionnaires had sandals, and that, in my opinion, is a big and weird question mark, as it pertains to their marching distances. Let us please separate the "sandals marchers" (Macedonians, Romans, etc) into a separate thread. Let'snot bunch stuff up.

To the "ancients" issues we could add copper horse shoes, the lack of the stirrups and pointless "disposable" spears.

mythstifieD

Reactions
I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread. To be honest, it makes me wonder about Fomenko and his idea of the Cossacks being the Tartarian army that basically conquered Russia, Asia, Europe and even America as early or earlier than 1100ad (allegedly). Fomenko is suspicious of Napoleon going to Egypt and blowing up monuments there, and how interesting that Napoleon goes to attack the Romanovs not so long after the Romanovs achieved total victory over the Muscovit Tartarians in 1775 and opened up Russia and Northwest America to be conquered by "the West".

Makes me wonder if Napoleon was a Cossack that was trying to restore Tartaria. If Fomenko is right (and he's very convincing) then the Tartarian Cossacks were the best military minds the world has ever seen. It also adds up that the French Revolution was a massive purge of the Catholic Church out of France. It would be still a fresh memory to some that the Pope's were only recently sitting in Italian Rome and boasting power they stole.

The reason I think this is relevant to this thread is that if Fomenko is right then that means the Cossacks had an ingenious logistical ability and Napolean may have employed the same tricks. I think it's absurd that Napoleon would fire a canon at the sphinx, sounds like war propaganda to make the west hate this Emperor that rose from the void... We're definitely being lied to about this man. I feel like his defeat is exactly where fake history finally and firmly took hold over the world.
Post automatically merged:

Nonfiction Book Review: Diary of a Napoleonic Footsoldier by Jakob Walter, Author, Marc Raeff, Author, Marc Raeff, Introduction by Doubleday Books $20 (170p) ISBN 978-0-385-41696-2

Likely convenient propaganda, but maybe?

Last edited:

davboy

Reactions
I actually concur with those who say Napoleon didnt exist. A search for actual photos reveals a blank. Lots of photos of those who 'fought with him' and hundreds of paintings. Came across this interesting book ;
Albert Sonnenfeld
Yale French Studies
No. 26, The Myth of Napoleon (1960), pp. 32-36
I am using the thread on logistics with my school students in French School