1806: The Hungarian Millennium Exhibition

jd755

Reactions
From here The Hungarian Millennium of 1896

May 2, 1896 marked the beginning of a series of nationwide festivities, exhibitions and public works projects, started on the occasion of the one thousand year anniversary of the Magyars’ arrival in the Carpathian Basin.

On April 21, 1896, the Hungarian Parliament approved the bill that requested financial support to build several memorials, statues and museums, mostly in Budapest. The Royal Family members of the Austria–Hungary Dual Monarchy, such as Franz Joseph I and his wife, Elisabeth, attended the anniversary’s opening ceremony.

And all images from here ARCHI/MAPS

The Main Gate at the Millennial Exhibition, Budapest

The Gothic Building group at the Millennial Exhibition, Budapest

The Wine Pavilion at the Millennial Exhibition, Budapest

The Coal Pavilion at the Millennium Exhibition, Budapest

This one is intriguing. Look at the big tree on the right 'planted' in the road. Was it really there?

The Telecommunication and Postal Pavilion at the Millennium Exhibition, Budapest

The Fishing History exhibition at the Millennium Exhibition, Budapest

More trees in odd places.

The Millennial Exhibition Buildings, Budapest

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Reactions
Yeah weirdness with some of the trees for sure, odd placements and rather large.

Oh brother " The original building of the Vajdahunyad Castle (officially called in 1896 the Historical Building Complex, i.e. Tortenelmi Epuletcsoport) was just a temporary structure made of wooden planks and cardboard designs." "But the Hungarians loved the building so much that it was eventually built from permanent materials (between 1904 and 1908), much to our great pleasure: now you can see stained windows, elaborately painted vaulted ceilings, marble staircases, etc. "

They are saying this was made of mostly wood planks and cardboard and the second photo is 1908, after it was rebuilt with permanent materials.
History of Vajdahunyad Castle Budapest

The Gothic Building group building looks well, not new either.

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
Tis now beyond dispute there are lies and misinformation a plenty surrounding these expositions. Also the regression in style and techniques not to mention the skills is staggering.
Even back in 1882 it only took them 3 year to knock up a castle from worked stone on top of a hill or mountain. Not Hungary nor an exposition this time but Bavaria.

Neuschwanstein Castle under construction, 1882-85

The inside wasn't half bad either

Timeshifter

Reactions
Yeah weirdness with some of the trees for sure, odd placements and rather large.

Oh brother " The original building of the Vajdahunyad Castle (officially called in 1896 the Historical Building Complex, i.e. Tortenelmi Epuletcsoport) was just a temporary structure made of wooden planks and cardboard designs." "But the Hungarians loved the building so much that it was eventually built from permanent materials (between 1904 and 1908),

They are saying this was made of mostly wood planks and cardboard and the second photo is 1908, after it was rebuilt with permanent materials.
Like an expo but in reverse? What is it with all of these buildings? They are at the heart of the cover up for sure...

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
Is this thread about the Expo, or about the castle?
I seem to fall foul of the derailing question quite often. This thread is about the Hungarian Exposition a just one example of the many many expositions put on across the world many of which I have never heard of, during the 1800's to early 1900's.
The castle post was to show that it is not just the expos which go up in fine detail in very short order around the same time which alludes to the numbers of skilled tradesmen there must have been knocking about all over the place.
Also it highlights, to me at least, there really is no way to tell the age of whatever building simply by looking at it.
The subject of these expositions spans so much time and geography to me they have be taken into context with all the other things being done at the same time and letting threads spread a bit allows this to happen

One point worthy of note is it was clearly possible to build on a mountain as the infrastructure of winches and pulleys in the second top picture shows so it could help throw light on Po-Ta-La and Leh monastories if not Pootala itself.

But that said its your place your rules.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This Expositions and Exhibitions sub-forum is for expos only. Let us please leave castles, or anything else unrelated to this 1896 Hungarian Expo for a different thread.

To keep things in order, we have to be disciplined with discussing proper things within the proper subs. It has nothing to do with whose site it is, and it has everything to do with how the information is presented. We have an option to stick everything into one thread, and this forum will eventually die off. Associations can take any topic of discussion from buildings to some Adidas running shoes. That's not what we want, and that is why we have simple guidelines in place.

That said, the entrance gate looks a lot like the Eiffel Tower (an entrance gate to the 1900 Expo in Paris). Wondering if there is any documented relation there.

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
Get where you are coming from, been to a few that have died the death due to the wandering you allude to however also discovered some wonderful things that lead to new avenues hithertoo unknown where people dive in on a wandering thread and link stuff together.
Will do my best to stay within the parameters you mention.

Strikes me with all of these expositions you could pick one up and drop it into any land on earth and it wouldn't look out of place. The construction skills are uniform and the individual trades are uniform, not to mention the designs Think plaster craftsmen, terracotta craftsmen, masons specifically..
Everything is 'classical' aka greco roman with statutes, columns friezes that bear no relation at all to the countries in which they are displayed unless of course they are triumphal exhibitions revealing the conquest of something we seem to have forgotten about.
the elephant in the room is WHO were these expositions put on for?