1726: Jonathan Swift - Gulliver's Travel

VinniePazman

Reactions
Great novel which full name is "Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four parts.
By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships"

okladka.jpg

I studied it few years ago in dystopia system context, but now I want to describe shortly every story, connect it with things we are founding out these days and invited you all to investigate - true/fiction elements.

some descriptions are from wikipedia

Part I: Voyage to Lilliput
The Citizens of this land are describe as 6 inches (15cm) people. The conflict beetwen two small nations shows relations between France and England in 18th century. Describe of their behaves: "At first, the Lilliputians are hospitable to Gulliver, but they are also wary of the threat that his size poses to them. The Lilliputians reveal themselves to be a people who put great emphasis on trivial matters. For example, which end of an egg a person cracks becomes the basis of a deep political rift within that nation."

1lili.JPEG

Do we know any historician relations about so small people? I didn't find things like these.

Part II: Voyage to Brobdignang
The land of Giants, situated on the western coast of the North American continent. He is then found by a farmer who is about 72 ft (22 m). The local nobility commands the forces; firearms and gunpowder are unknown to them. The King scolds Gulliver when he tries to interest the statesman in the use of gunpowder.

guliwer.JPEG

gulliver.JPEG

The laws of Brobdingnag are simple and easy to follow. There is little civil litigation. Murderers are beheaded. Brobdingnagian culture consists of history, poetry, mathematics and ethics, mathematics being a particular strength. Printing has been long known but libraries are relatively small. The king has the largest library, which contains about one thousand volumes. The Brobdingnagians favour a clear literary style.

giant.JPEG

We saw thing like this
bath.jpg

Part III: A Voyage to Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib and Japan
Setting out again, Gulliver's ship is attacked by pirates, and he is marooned close to a desolate rocky island near India. He is rescued by the flying island of Laputa, a kingdom devoted to the arts of music, mathematics, and astronomy but unable to use them for practical ends. Rather than use armies, Laputa has a custom of throwing rocks down at rebellious cities on the ground.

guliii.JPEG

Laputa Tech - kind of Starfort shape, maybe it's allusion to the reset, that they found something, try to use it but don't know how
While waiting for a passage, Gulliver takes a short side-trip to the island of Glubbdubdrib which is southwest of Balnibarbi. On Glubbdubdrib, he visits a magician's dwelling and discusses history with the ghosts of historical figures, the most obvious restatement of the "ancients versus moderns" theme in the book. The ghosts consist of Julius Caesar, Brutus, Homer, Aristotle, René Descartes, and Pierre Gassendi.

On the island of Luggnagg, he encounters the struldbrugs, people who are immortal. They do not have the gift of eternal youth, but suffer the infirmities of old age and are considered legally dead at the age of eighty.

After reaching Japan, Gulliver asks the Emperor "to excuse my performing the ceremony imposed upon my countrymen of trampling upon the crucifix", which the Emperor does. Gulliver returns home, determined to stay there for the rest of his days.

Flying Island saved his live near India. Vimana?
gulliver-laputa.jpg

laputa.jpg

ll.jpg

vimana.jpg

Flying Vimana Art Concept

Part IV: A Voyage to the Land of the Houyhnhnms
He is abandoned in a landing boat and comes upon a race of deformed savage humanoid creatures to which he conceives a violent antipathy. Shortly afterwards, he meets the Houyhnhnms, a race of talking horses. They are the rulers while the deformed creatures that resemble human beings are called Yahoos.
Gulliver becomes a member of a horse's household and comes to both admire and emulate the Houyhnhnms and their way of life, rejecting his fellow humans as merely Yahoos endowed with some semblance of reason which they only use to exacerbate and add to the vices Nature gave them. However, an Assembly of the Houyhnhnms rules that Gulliver, a Yahoo with some semblance of reason, is a danger to their civilization and commands him to swim back to the land that he came from. Gulliver's "Master," the Houyhnhnm who took him into his household, buys him time to create a canoe to make his departure easier. After another disastrous voyage, he is rescued against his will by a Portuguese ship. He is disgusted to see that Captain Pedro de Mendez, whom he considers a Yahoo, is a wise, courteous, and generous person.

He returns to his home in England, but is unable to reconcile himself to living among "Yahoos" and becomes a recluse, remaining in his house, avoiding his family and his wife, and spending several hours a day speaking with the horses in his stables.

Tartary
Tartary is mentioned in a book twice :

tart.JPG

tarty.JPG

Maps

some maps are probably created based on text and added in further versions of text

220px-Brobdingnag_map.jpg

gulliver-map1.jpg

Lugnagg.jpg
Lugnagg.jpg

Map_of_Gulliver's_travels.jpg

map-of-brobdingnag-from-gullivers-voyages-to-lilliput-and-brobdingnag.jpg

What do you think? It's sure that novel is full of alegory, kind of universal truths (sometimes i wish didn't get out of stable talking to animals rather than humans). And maybe it is fusion of things from past, things which was real or could happen or it's only author's imagination?

Last edited:

Timeshifter

Reactions
Considering themes we are uncovering and discussing on this forum, I would suggest it is entirely possible that many of Swifts ideas are realities dressed as fictional satire.

Is Swift another one of those Psuedo historical characters, retro fitted to hold certain narratives and time frames?

He is another one of those faces that all look the same to me...

SwiftJonathan300px.jpg

lostcause

Reactions
I remember hearing that Jonathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels accurately described the two moons of Mars over 100 years before they were officially discovered by telescope. The explanation I heard was that Mars used to be much closer to the Earth and Swift was passing on old legends he had heard. The wikipedia article Moons of Mars says: "Perhaps inspired by Kepler (and quoting Kepler's third law of planetary motion), Jonathan Swift's satire Gulliver's Travels (1726) refers to two moons in Part 3, Chapter 3 (the "Voyage to Laputa"), in which Laputa's astronomers are described as having discovered two satellites of Mars orbiting at distances of 3 and 5 Martian diameters with periods of 10 and 21.5 hours. "

It also says: "Voltaire's 1752 short story "Micromégas", about an alien visitor to Earth, also refers to two moons of Mars. Voltaire was presumably influenced by Swift. In recognition of these 'predictions', two craters on Deimos are named Swift and Voltaire, while on Phobos there is one named regio, Laputa Regio, and one named planitia, Lagado Planitia, both of which are named after places in Gulliver's Travels (the fictional Laputa, a flying island, and Lagado, imaginary capital of the fictional nation Balnibarbi). Many of the craters on Phobos are also named after characters in Gulliver's Travels."

OP
VinniePazman

VinniePazman

Reactions
Thank you for your suggestions – it gave me a lot of food for though so I go deeper with my investigations.

Hypothesis: Every story is more true than it may seems to people, but the form of satire is to divert attention from the most important elements.
Assumption: Novel's timeframe could be fake

Some descriptions about high of prestented Natives could be falsified to make people think it has to be nothing but fiction.

Chapter 1. Lilliputs and Blefuscu or Small people community on Indic Ocean

As it said they was 6 inch(15cm) high - it's extremely small for humanoids like being. Maybe "real" Lilliput was they were much higher - but really small comparing to European people.

My ideas:
Pygmies

In anthropology, pygmy peoples are ethnic groups whose average height is unusually short. The term pygmyism is used to describe the phenotype of endemic short stature (as opposed to disproportionate dwarfism occurring in isolated cases in a population) for populations in which adult men are on average less than 150 cm (4 ft 11 in) tall.

Below are picture of African ones
pigme.jpg

In anthropology, pygmy peoples are ethnic groups whose average height is unusually short. The term pygmyism is used to describe the phenotype of endemic short stature (as opposed to disproportionate dwarfism occurring in isolated cases in a population) for populations in which adult men are on average less than 150 cm (4 ft 11 in) tall.

In a novel is told that Gulliver met them on South Indian Ocean Islands. So we got also Negritos - The Negrito (/nɪˈɡriːtoʊ/) are several diverse ethnic groups who inhabit isolated parts of Maritime Southeast Asia.[1] Their current populations include the Andamanese peoples of the Andaman Islands, the Semang and Batek peoples of Peninsular Malaysia, the Maniq people of Southern Thailand, and the Aeta people, Ati people, and 30 other official recognized ethnic groups in the Philippines.

pigme 2.jpg

Location - we see on a map included to the novel that these Island are somewhere between Sumatra and Australia, it's really interesting that in that region is only one land and in fact it consist from two Islands. Unfortunetly, no information about native inhabitants.

Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands
globejpg.jpg
lliil.jpg
cocs.png

Another source about the small people community but in different part of the world

Mysterious Village of Lilliput in Eastern Iran

Chapter 2. Brobdignang or Giants in Nothern America

I think it is the most obvious case, below some related articles

The Giants of Ancient North America
Read head Giants in NA
Youtube: The Mysterious ANCIENT GIANTS Who RULED America
The Giants of Tiahuanaco: article from 1955
John Smith, huge Pocahontas and the Avatar Giants of Susquehannocks
Patagonian Giants

and so on.

OK, the next ones seems to me be more connected with reset or cataclysm

Chapter 3. Laputa Flying Island or Vimana

In my opinion is pretty clear that Laputa could be flying town/castle - Vimana.
Narration: citizens couldn't be able to use technology they had. I think it refers to lost knowledge.
Maybe author knew, that Vimanas from Slav-Aryan Vedas are real tech. Maybe it tells us that people tried to understand and bring back lost knowledge of starforts, free energy harvesting, Sacred geometry and so on. I think it's kind of conclusion, no related excatly in novels timeframe.

vimana3.jpgvimana2.jpgwimana1.jpglaputaas222.jpeglaputa2.pnglaputa1.jpglaputaas222.jpeg

laputa3.jpg

Chapter 4. Smart horses and wild people

Imagine how could look like living after world collapse. Fight for survival, cannibalism, return of the primal instincts, bestality and general regresses. But animals? They are more adapted to extreme conditions rather than humans. I think the point is that people in that story are just after reset civilization. The horses as a kindly domesticated animal appears as an exemple, it's used to compare animal behaves and situation to humanity in those days.

yahoos3.jpg

yahoos2.jpgyahoos.jpg

Note: Missing story of joruney to Japan will be filled soon

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Plissken Symbology 7