1,600 y.o. ancient Egyptian socks

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
These socks are the earliest knitted items in the V&A's collection. Made in 300-499 AD, they were excavated in Egypt at the end of the 19th century. They have a divided toe and are designed to be worn with sandals.

The socks are knitted in stocking stitch using three-ply wool and the single-needle technique. This type of knitting is a slow technique more like sewing. It was a forerunner of the faster method of knitting with two or more needles.

Textile historians often find it difficult to tell whether early knitted objects are made using a single needle, as here, or using more than one needle, as the finished articles are so similar in appearance.

Pair_of_socks.jpg

BLW Pair of socks.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Taking a Closer Look at an Odd Pair of Very, Very Old Socks

KD: Anything weird there?

Ice Nine

Reactions
LMAO, oh gee no, they look like any average human could wear them. :eek::ROFLMAO:

I suppose the part for the other 4 toes could stretch enough to get them shoved in the sock, but.....Hmmmmmm.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
We have two interesting issues here with human anatomy being one of those. They sure look like no socks I’ve ever seen.

May be these weird feet could fit inside these bizarre sabatons.

6234A233-FB3E-414D-8836-49C884D9B947.jpeg

85C4EEA1-1131-4142-976F-63203D61489B.jpeg

The other issue is the material. If we go along with the official narrative, and believe that these socks are indeed 1,600 years old, than we are talking about some incredibly durable material.

Eventually what did the matching foot looked like, and how old are these 1,600 y.o. socks would be my questions.

anotherlayer

Reactions
This is what makes me shake my head. Why on earth wouldn't they make a sock that looks like a human foot? This split down the middle so that they can wear sandals is just simple thinking.

Ice Nine

Reactions
Oh yeah there is something here! It may seem like a very silly connection, but you can pick up the same exactly style of sock at this store:
Pro Ninja Tabi Socks | Kage Ninja Gear
To be used for this style of boot:
Ninja Tabi Boots

A more relevant question is, why socks in the desert? Sand tends to get into everything.
This is what makes me shake my head. Why on earth wouldn't they make a sock that looks like a human foot? This split down the middle so that they can wear sandals is just simple thinking.
Egyptian Ninjas, anything is possible anymore in my mind.

And Yeah! you guys are both brilliant! Socks in the dessert, er um, and even worse, that inexcusable fashion faux pas of wearing socks with sandals. I was so busy trying to envision what kind of foot went in those socks I ignored the other issues.

BrokenAgate

Reactions
1. The socks look uncomfortable.
2. They are divided weirdly. Wouldn't the split be more to one side, to allow for the big toe in the smaller part and the rest of the foot in the larger section?
3. Did the ancient (however old that is) Egyptians actually wear socks with sandals? Ugh, talk about unfashionable. At least they're not black.
4. How did knights walk in those sabatons? I guess a narrow foot could fit in them, and maybe the points were meant to be weapons from horseback, but once he was off the horse, walking around would be difficult, if not impossible. Were they put on by an assistant after he was mounted, and removed before dismounting?

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I’d imagine 1,600 years should have turned this pair into dust.

How old could they possibly be?

Paracelsus

Reactions
The more I look at those socks the more I move away from my original post. Whoever wore them only had two digits on their feet. Most likely they had the condition known as: Ectrodactyly.

Paracelsus

Reactions
They had a trend back then. Do we have any two toed Gods out there?

Did the Ancient Egyptians Wear Socks?
4th Century Egyptian Socks

The Ostrich People of Zimbabwe Who Have Just Two Toes
View attachment 14048
Source
The Garuda (Half man - half Eagle) is a fairly prominent feature in Vedic/Indian and Balinese artwork.
https://pin.it/h2oc4ah7xl42wp

(Final edit) The Garuda appears to have 3 toes, and the rear facing toe common to birds.

Three toed Garuda
https://pin.it/muihaxjuexlk2s
https://pin.it/dvigjb2uck7mis
https://pin.it/4qhyrqxwfpra3z

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Reactions
Oh fascinating about the Ostrich People, perhaps the last of the ruling class of Egypt, oh wait, anybody ever hear any mention of Egyptian mummies with "deformed feet" ? Oh great, something else to look into.

"The elders of the Vadoma people claim that their remote ancestors were bird like beings who came from the stars and mixed their DNA with early earth women to produce offspring. The elders state that their ancient ancestors came from the star systems of Sirius and first established colonies on a planet within our solar system that they refer to as Liitolafisi. " I bet it's Mars, be right back..

Yep, that's what they say.
"some of the wisest people in the land, people who claim ancestry from creatures who are said to have come from the red star know as Liitolafisi, the red star whose name means the eye of the brown hyena is the star, or rather the planet that white people call Mars. "
Ostrich People | Truth Control